Planet Hunters Talk

Paper news?

• Hildifons by Hildifons

Any news on this paper by Dr. Ji Wang announced 22 days ago?

P.S. We just submitted a new paper to a journal this weekl. Here's a sneak peak about what it's about by the author, Dr. Ji Wang:
    "In the new paper, we report the discoveries of transiting planets with the longest orbital periods. What is exciting is that Planet Hunters allows us to probe transiting planets at Mars distance and beyond. These planet candidates usually have 1-2 visible transits during Kepler's 4.5 year life time and are therefore neglected by the automatic Kepler planet search pipeline, which requires at least 3 visible transits. The discoveries from the Planet Hunters project are complementary to the discoveries by the Kepler mission that focuses on planets in and closer than the habitable zones of stars. This plot best illustrates this point. Blue points are previous PH detections, and red points are discoveries from the latest paper. We now have more than 260,000 users and have analyzed more than 20,000,000 chunks of 30-day light curves. We expect citizen scientists to find many unexpected discoveries with the K2 data."

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/3ebavu/science_ama_series_were_the_planet_hunters_team/

Thanks!

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Also, is that true that in that recent IAU General Assembly, a method to detect single transit events was discussed? Was PlanetHunters at least indirectly involved?

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to Hildifons's comment.

Here is a bit more info: http://www.planethunters.org/#/acknowledgements

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

Thank you very much! I had already read that, but I didn't realize it was related to the new paper, I thought those acknowledgements were for this other paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.0644

It seems I got confused because both the acknowledgements and the linked paper were for 42 candidates. My bad. So does this new paper by Dr. Ji Wang characterize those 42 candidates discovered 2 years ago? Or is this about a new batch of 42 newly discovered candidates?

Once again, thank you very much for your kind help!

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to Hildifons's comment.

You are welcome. Yes, it is a bit confusing but the upcoming paper primarily contains new (29) long period planet candidates. I can see that some of the candidates are duplicates:

From "Planet Hunters. V. A Confirmed Jupiter-Size Planet in the Habitable Zone and 42 Planet Candidates from the Kepler Archive Data":

KID 8636333

KID 5437945

KID 801273

KID 8636333

KID 9413313

KID 9663113

KID 10024862

KID 10525077

KID 10850327

KID 11716643

From Planet Hunters. VI - An Independent Characterization of KOI-351 and Several Long Period Planet Candidates from the Kepler Archival Data

KID 5010054

KID 5522786

KID 6436029

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons

Great, looking forward to read the new paper! Any idea when it may be published?

Posted