Planet Hunters Talk

SDSS J170008.72+291903.7

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Not related to PH since without LC, more like a general question

enter image description here

SDSS J170008.72+291903.7 is K3V star according to SDSS spectrum

Is it normal for it to be visible in all 4 WISE bands?

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

Judging by the shape of the Vizier SED, with a visible reversal in the WISE bands, I would wager that the star hosts a disk. This is definitely not my forté, but the SED reminds me of disk hosts I've seen in literature.

And, no, I don't expect such a faint star would be detectable as far as W3/W4 otherwise.

The peak wavelength of the SED in ~1 micrometre (~3000 K, following Wien's law). If the K3 spectral type from SDSS is correct, then the star seems to be very reddened. This is probably logical for a disk host.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Thanks, Shellface

However, there is a catch

Lets have a look at Faint Images of the Radio Sky at Twenty-Centimeters

For convinience I overlaid contours produced from FIRST on SDSS

What we are seeing is a radio galaxy with complex morphology ( Fanaroff and Riley Class II to be precise )

It consist of the core + lobes

Lets zoom-in on the core, it happens to be right on top of the SDSS J170008.72+291903.7

Well, problem is .. stars do not produce relativistic jets,right?

So the only logical explanation is a background QSO or distant AGN, right? which should be exactly behind the star

The space is big and chance alignment bound to happen, it is just first time I see such almost perfect one..

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

Wow. Again, galactic stuff is way out of my knowledge, but I think you're right. That's quite the coincidence…

That would explain the odd peak wavelength, I suppose. I have no idea what galactic spectra look like, but I imagine the K3 spectral type isn't appropriate.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd in response to Shellface's comment.

I am wondering is WISE contaminated by putative bacground source?

Star is also a GALEX source, is it normal? it is visible in Near UV

Surprisingly, spectrum is appropriate

Here is SDSS template for bog standard K star from DR7 Spectral cross-correlation templates

![enter image description here](http://classic.sdss.org/dr7/algorithms/spectemplates/spDR2-010.gif =600x400)

Here is spectrum of our star

Just a wierd guess

Could it be a young stellar object?

Posted