Planet Hunters Talk

Field Guide requiem

• Noharrr by Noharrr

I'm back to ZOO after an absence of some months -- the new format in Planet Hunters has some advantages (larger image, easier zoom tool, etc).
    However, I can't find any kind of a field guide. The Hashtag Tips pop-up doesn't help -- mostly it's irrelevant to whatever image I happen to be working on. In the old format, it was really helpful to have the choices (and visual prompts) for variable, stable (and there was one other but I've forgotten!). The Tutorial has been downgraded to text and one image only (I tried to review to brush up my skills.)

I also reviewed the information under the tabs in the bar at the top of the page. Only "Transits' had a few images of the light plots.

I felt I was actually learning something and gaining skills while working on the site. As it is now, I feel as if I can only competently work on the site if I already know all the astronomy terminology for the various types of star behaviours.

Am I missing something? Is there still a field guide on the site somewhere? If I don't know this stuff, how can I relearn in?

I used to really enjoy Planethunters. Now I feel pretty much like an outsider.

Posted