Planet Hunters Talk

Exoplanet Explorers on ABC Stargazing Live

• mrniaboc by mrniaboc admin, scientist

Hi all,

Just to let you know we plan to launch a new exoplanet project on live TV tomorrow! It will be part of ABC Stargazing Live in Australia, airing tomorrow at 8.30pm AEST / 11.30am BST / 6.30am EDT.

Exoplanet Explorers is run by a completely different research team to Planet Hunters, based at UC Santa Cruz, California. It involves searching through folded lightcurves from K2. We'd love for you to come join us at www.exoplanetexplorers.org, if you have time, while you wait for new data on Planet Hunters!

Cheers,

Grant

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to mrniaboc's comment.

Oh no, not more simulations! Those were (and are) unpopular here in my opinion and the reason why is simple: people want to spend their free time actually looking for exoplanets, not performing as test subjects for some scientific experiment.

On the bright side, the stacked transits and folds are useful in my opinion for finding actual transits. If I were you, I would also add basic stellar information which users with any experience at looking at transits will want to know. Yes that means stellar radii, mass, type of star, dwarf or giant, and if known of course. Also an RA/Dec display for additional research would be very helpful for those who want to post serious comments.

Leave these off, and all you will get are the "drive by" users with little or no experience again in my opinion.

Sincere best of luck with the project though! Advancing exoplanet science in any way is great to see, and I applaud your efforts.

Mark Omohundro (ajamyajax on PH)

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Nice spotting and work by Ivan, Tony, and all others over there!

"We Got One!!! Or rather, we got four planets in one system! That's right, in just 48 hours and with the help of thousands of amazing volunteers, we've managed to discover a star with four orbiting planets."

"The planets, which we are unnoficially referring to as EE-1b, EE-1c, EE-1d, and EE-1e, are orbiting a Sun-like star called EPIC 245950175..."

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/ianc2/exoplanet-explorers/about/results

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

Good to see some familiar names.

EPIC 245950175 is in C12; I am somewhat surprised that C12 stars have even been included, and I wonder how the data correction was done.

I suppose we will be seeing these again in June.

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

I just noticed:

If you go to a talk page and click this button at the bottom-left, you get some information on the target (period, S/N, EPIC number). There's also a link to the EXOFOP page. Strange that this is so obscure, but at least it's there.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Yeah, with that C12 data

They were like a fox in the henhouse

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to Shellface's comment.

Yes, they could be shifted a bit to the right.and labelled up (without rolling a mouse over them) to see what they are.

Posted