Planet Hunters Talk

Life on Europa

• squirreltastic101 by squirreltastic101

One moon that particularly fascinates me is Jupiter's moon Europa. On Europa lies miles of ice but evidence suggests that underneath it is an ocean 3-5 times as large as Earth's. I have been doing research on it lately for my third novel and have learned about the possibility of hydrothermal vents on Europa similar to those on Earth. One specific species of shrimp called rimicaris hybisae live on hydrothermal vents and could theoretically survive on Europa due to similar conditions. They are blind because they don't need to see when they live that far down in the ocean with no light and they can survive in extremely cold temperatures. I wonder if life similar to them exists on Europa...

Posted

• squirreltastic101 by squirreltastic101

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this topic!

Posted

• juliapot11 by juliapot11

Maybe live there, something like frost mold or bacteria, shrimp and sea Scorpions, seem to me too difficult for Europe life.

Posted

• juliapot11 by juliapot11

In theory, in addition to Europe life can be on Enceladus and other icy satellites
    but it is possible that the origin of life need large amounts of energy (e.g. lightning), in this case, in addition to planet Earth can be inhabited Titan, and the clouds on Venus, what do you think on this issue?

Posted

• Yade by Yade

Consider the cirkumstances needed to create life. No doubt it is a complicated proces, and probably need to be run in exact order under verry special cirkumstances.

Maybe life, like we find it on earth, has to start in space, running through sequences with verry special chemikal mixtures in verry exact temperature, pressure, lightconditions e.t.c.

Maybe the seed created there need to hit a planet like the earth on a verry special time in it's development.

Maybe that planet need a sun verry similar to our, and maybe it need to be verry close to the distance we'r in. Maybe it need a chemikal komposition, a gravitational pull, the amount of water verry close to what we have, a moon verry close to the size and distance of our, and maybe also some more triggerevents that may have happened here without our knowledge.

Chanses the same has happened somwhere else are verry small. Once people expected to see a stone jump from the ground when all atoms accidential swing in same directions, today we know more about how unlikely it is. I bet a google to one chanses for life being created are much smaller.

Maybe life can only exist in the form we know, if that's the case we miss further chanses for life elswhere. We know some sorts of life can survive in the universe, but we don't know if it can do so for the long amounts of time needed for interstellar travel plus the conditions on the way, and even if it can, we have to realize chanses for survival during impact with planets are verry small.

All in all i have absolut NO sympati for the sciense these years screaming out about huge chanses of life in each and every galax. It doesn't matter how many billion stars there are, we will still not see stones jump from the ground ! The idiots just hope for money to investigate, and they make such stupid claims because it's popular topics. People just love UFO's, starwars and may the force be stuck up your .... if it can earn them a fat living they don't care about the results.

I don't think, it should hinder you write about life on Europa. If we land expeditions there, we may prolute the enviroment with something. What will happen in bilions of years if we bore through the ice and prolute the possible ocean there before we go extinct ? Maybe something could survive there when our sun burn out. What will happen after the colision with Andromeda if Jupiter is caught around a new star. A novel don't need to take place in our time.

Posted