Planet Hunters Talk

Some new Kepler-related news about AAS225

• Artman40 by Artman40

https://aas225.abstractcentral.com/s1agxt/com.scholarone.s1agxt.s1agxt/S1A.html?&a=3211&b=1593989&c=26224&d=17&e=26484484&f=17&g=null&h=BROWSE_THE_PROGRAM&i=N&j=N&k=N&l=Y&m=AmEPfyWVSOJf9SJdjdFP4r7zPp8&n=0&o=1420469487768&q=Y&p=https://aas225.abstractcentral.com

American Astronomical Society discusses quite a few Kepler telescope related topics and discoveries in 225th meeting. These include:

1. Better detection of small long-period planet candidates.
    2. More proof and methods of confirming extrasolar planets by transit duration ratios.
    3. Discussion of sub-Jovian desert.
    4. Discussion of Planet Hunters and Kepler K2 mission including first results.

Withdrawn:

Several new planet candidates discovered by allowing greater transit timing variations. (Confirmation of PH3 may have started that).

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Great, looking forward to reading more papers soon. Go team!!!

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Oh...things I mentioned were only from Monday times and even that's not a complete list.

Also, when can press report on these and are these preliminary findings? I know that at least one topics from AAS225 meeting discussed is on arXiv already.

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

Your link doesn't work for me, for whatever reason. This is the public list of abstracts, which should work for everyone.

105.08 - "Planet Hunters 2 in the K2 Era" seems relevant to us, huh? ๐Ÿ˜›

We will present the first results from the
    Planet Hunters 2 search of K2 Campaigns 0 and 1 including a summary of new planet candidates.

eeeeee I'm helping huzzah

Posted

• troyw by troyw

Campaigns 0 AND 1? That would be rather impressive.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Hiya,

Sorry for being away for a long while from Talk. I'm swamped at the moment. I had a talk this morning, that was more of a status report on Planet Hunters 2.0. You can find my slides for the moment here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

https://twitter.com/NASAKepler/status/552499043751198720/photo/1

Validation many habitable zone planets.

Also, good news for Disk Detectives.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

On 1000th Kepler planet discovery: "Scientists also are working on the next catalog release of Keplerโ€™s four-year data set. The analysis will include the final month of data collected by the mission and also will be conducted using sophisticated software that is more sensitive to the tiny telltale signatures of small Earth-size planets than software used in the past."

Does that mean more small planets (even mercurian planets) and Q17 data?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to artman40's comment.

Yes, NASA was proud to announce yesterday that Disk Detective has passed 1,000,000 classifications!

For the record, Planet Hunters has over 1,115,000... but they're catching up. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted