Planet Hunters Talk

Outliers

• dantoto by dantoto

Would single outlier data points be considered erroneous data or something more rigorous?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to dantoto's comment.

A single low point is likely not a transit. Transits are typically a few hours in duration so you should see more than one low point consecutively especially if you zoom in the low point should be next to another low point. So if I see a single low point in the interface I don't mark it. I need to at least see more than one.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• dantoto by dantoto in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks for that information. I was also wondering how accurate the measurement data is.
    Also, just for the record I was referring to events like this little guy at the 29 day mark.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Yeah I wouldn't have marked that, especially at that zoom scale, I'd expect at least one more point to be low consecutively. So I wouldn't have marked that above as a transit.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• dfischer123 by dfischer123 scientist

Hi dantoto,

Yeah - if I only saw the one point, I would not flag it. An exception might be if this repeated regularly - then we might be interested in taking a look. Thanks for your help!

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to dantoto's comment.

I would also add that two low points are often a sign of cosmic rays and you will probably see these glitches a lot.

Posted

• myrikhan by myrikhan

Hi, many of the known Kepler planets and simulations have a single low point. How do we differentiate between noise and possible transits?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

The single (or double) low points correspond to short period planets (if real). So unless you can see a regular spaced pattern of repeats, we are left with cosmic rays or unknown outlier events.

Posted