Planet Hunters Talk

Do we mark slow, sweeping dips that appear to be variable stars?

• fflaguna by fflaguna

Are we supposed to mark looooong, slow sweeping dips that appear to be variable stars? The graph doesn't let us mark that wide of a range. Or should I only be marking sharp dips? What if there are two looooong, slow sweeping dips at two different frequencies overlaid on top of each other?

The tutorial didn't explain this to me and the "Guide" doesn't explain this either. Thanks.

Posted

• fflaguna by fflaguna

So I carefully looked at the "Guide" images again. I found the answer:

We are only supposed to mark the extremely SHORT, sharp dips in star brightness.

And we don't mark the gradual dimming and brightening of the lightcurves that happens on basically every graph. It's only the VERY short blips and drops in brightness, the longest of which are almost never more than 2-3 days long for the ENTIRE dip and return--and usually they are much, much shorter.

When the guide/tutorial talks about "long-period planets" they are talking about planets that only make ONE extremely short blip on a 30-day slice, because their orbits take longer than 30 days at a time. Short-period planets (or multiple planets) will have more than one extremely short blip on the 30-day slice.

So hopefully this helps other new-ish users. Don't mark the slow, gradual dimming and brightening that happens in the lightcurves. I wish the tutorial/guide was more clear about that, because I thought it wanted us to mark them...

Posted