Planet Hunters Talk

Possible Multi-Planet Systems - Can Someone Be Able to Confirm These?

• ProtoJeb21 by ProtoJeb21

I've found several stars that could have a multiple planet system around them. For right now, I'll be using the stars' Kepler Input Catalog designations.

First is KIC 7848638 (APH00015me), a star with 83% the radius of our sun. There appear to be the transits of planets with 1.17, 0.686, 0.9, 1.63, and 2.08 Earth Radii (E_Radii) orbiting every 12.2, 15.5, 47, 201, and 442 days. The final planet has some changes in transit depth that could be caused by a moon of 0.36 E_Radii. That too remains unconfirmed.

Next is KIC 7586580, with about 0.6 times the size of our sun. I lost the paper I had with the planetary orbital periods, but I do remember the final two planets orbiting every 202.5 and 720 days. I was able to find the size values of the 5 potential planets, being 0.73, 0.92, 0.70, 0.886, and 1.225 E_Radii. This system is pretty dubious to me because of the star's highly varying brightness and how most transits were very similar to each other. Definitely a confusing system.

KIC 7105665 has four potential planets and is around 85.2% the radius of Sol. The first three had easily predictable transits, with orbital periods of 7.25, 27, and 141 days, and radii of 1.05, 0.62, and 1.14 E_Radii. However, the final planet had just one transit, even though it was clearly defined. It is about 3.065 E_Radii and has a year of at least 962.2 days. It appeared at observation Day 1093.7, in one of the later quarters.

Finally there is KIC 6634112, a K-dwarf with 0.843 solar radii. A large transit in the data has been noted for at least a month, and I calculated the size of that planet to be about 2.55152 times the size of Jupiter. It is not a dwarf star because the light curve is not like those of close-in M and K dwarf binaries. I also found another, much smaller transit (0.7351 E_Radii) that appeared near the Goliath transit and appeared to show signs of it orbiting the planet. A moon, perhaps?

KIC 6634112 also has 3 other potential planets. Only one of them had repeated transits, with 1.011 times the size of Earth and a year of 41 days. The other two appeared to be frost-line gas planets. They are 4.227 and 7.0753 times the size of Earth. I was only able to find one transit of each, when they transited at nearly the same time. They may be in some type of orbital resonance. If they are in a 2-1 resonance, they have orbital periods of at least 1,207 and 2,414 days. There was also a signal of a potential 5th planet with about 1.29 E_Radii, but I didn't investigate it.

Even if some of these candidates turn out to be false positives, I really think these four systems should be taken note of. Is there anyone who could be able to investigate and/or confirm these potential planets?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to ProtoJeb21's comment.

KIC 6634112 is KOI 5308, a Kepler favorite. P=9.942229886 days, R=21.86 R_Earth.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to ProtoJeb21's comment.

Only our heroic science team who make real field observations, writes papers, and finally gets all that blessed by another group of Kepler scientists can actually confirm your planets... But we can take a look and offer an opinion based on some experience at this, if you like.

Posted

• ProtoJeb21 by ProtoJeb21 in response to zoo3hans's comment.

KOI-5308...I can't find that much on it, but I'll do some more research. Thanks for bringing that up. Also, I appear to be doing my math wrong when it comes to planet sizes, because I calculated 2.5 J_Radii for an object that was 1.95 J_Radii. Do you know the correct equation?

I'm going to be doing some more analysis of the KOI-5308 light curve set to see if I can find the semi-major axis and orbital period of that possible "moon." If I can, then I could get a good estimate of the mass of KOI-5308b. I also found the Planet Hunters designation for the star - APH00016yu.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Did you check here for KOI info?

http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/

Tip: for searches, type "KIC nnnnnnn"

Posted

• ProtoJeb21 by ProtoJeb21 in response to ajamyajax's comment.

For some reason, the Exoplanet Archive won't let me search up any planet or star of any designation. This has been a problem since I first tried searching up planets several months ago.

Also, I have the Planet Hunters designation for KIC 7586580: APH00014z9. I still have to find the APH designation for KIC 7105665, though.

Posted

UPDATE: I just found the Planet Hunters designation of KIC 7105665! It is APH00014fa.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to ProtoJeb21's comment.

Well, the Objects of Interest (KOI) section doesn't seem to be working. Sorry about that. Maybe give it a few more days, or send them a msg on Monday to let them know.

Posted

UPDATE: I went back through the data of KIC 7586580 to weed out any false positives. It turns out there are only three planets in the system that are 0.66, 0.5764, and 0.9 times the size of Earth with orbital periods of 4.0, 12.5, and 90.25 days. It seems to be that most, if not all, of the alleged 5 planets were these 3 candidates. I just happened to misread the data. It also seems to be that the outer two could have been caused by periods of intense stellar activity.

Posted

I've found another system of interest. This is the star KIC 7051256 (APH000159w), a small orange dwarf with a temperature of 4300 kelvin and just 51% our Sun's radius. The first planet appears to be about 0.93 times the size of Earth and orbits every 28 days. The second is much more interesting. It is about 1.02 Earth radii and orbits every 90.5 days, possibly placing it in the habitable zone of the star. I am confident that there is at least one planet in the system, but the exact amount is somewhat dubious because of how much stellar image noise there is.

Posted