Planet Hunters Talk

Interesting system - looking for more information about it.

• Danzee28 by Danzee28

https://talk.planethunters.org/?_ga=1.118553097.1239307294.1471908819#/subjects/APH

Hello, newbie here so apologies for my likely misinterpretation of some of this but here's what I've got.

The transit here is clear. It occurs roughly every 2 days and in the first few quarters correlates with the peaks and troughs of the pulsating star. However, this correlation does not continue throughout the data. I'm guessing this means we can assume it is actually a planet and not produced by the star or a glitch?

This is the first object I have been excited about observing and so would like to find out more. I assume it orbits very close to its star because of the short time it takes to reappear? Also, in terms of size, would this be a large planet? According to the simulations it would be. But, if this planet is indeed very close to its star, could it have a larger dimming effect and be closer to earth's size? Or is the opposite true that it would need to be massive to have such an effect and be so close?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to Danzee28's comment.

The link goes to nowhere. It is truncated at APH. We have no idea about what star you are talking about.

Posted

• Danzee28 by Danzee28

Sorry, its called APH00014jl. Hopefully this link works. https://talk.planethunters.org/?_ga=1.118553097.1239307294.1471908819#/subjects/APH00014jl

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

APH00014jl is KID 7377033 , KOI 882 , a Kepler favorite. It's still a candidate and not yet confirmed as far as I know. The period is 1.95681 days and it's radius is 14.81 R_Earth, i.e. slightly larger than Jupiter. It might be a typical Hot Jupiter, i.e. a large (and hot!) planet very near it's host star. The dimming is always the same regardless the distance the planet orbits around its star, only the spacing between the transits will be much longer for a "normal" Jupiter (a few years).

Posted

• Danzee28 by Danzee28

Thank you very much for the info. New favourite planet (candidate) for me!

Posted