Planet Hunters Talk

simulated

• rik079 by rik079

what does "simulated transist" really mean?

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Personally I think they should end this simulated transit nonsense and allow volunteers to do some REAL discovery science again. The decline in the number of experienced posters here says it all.

And bring back K2 also if you are serious about this site! K1 has been thoroughly studied at this point, and the chance of an untrained eye spotting a new and "easy-to-prove" planetary transit in that data are frankly almost nil.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to ajamyajax's comment.

I second this. I find all those simulations quite annyoing to say the least.

Posted

• tsboyajian by tsboyajian scientist

Hey yall - we need simulations to determine a recovery rate for planet transits as a function of size and orbital period - this is the ONLY way that crowd sourcing will work with finding new planets and calculating planet occurrence rates. May I ask what in particular is so annoying? The frequency at which they appear?
    I will share your thoughts on K2 data with the science team. But keep in mind that Planethunters has found dozens of new planets and we have only classified ~50% of the original Kepler data set, so that means there are still dozens more to find!

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to tsboyajian's comment.

Well when I was in college, students were compensated for participating in research studies because otherwise only those few who got something out of it would volunteer. I think you might have the same situation here regarding finding planets with simulations. What does a volunteer get from finding those exactly?

But since you asked maybe only one sim in seven or eight views (or more) would help with their patience anyway. Best of luck!

And sincerely too. We all have the same goals, of course.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to tsboyajian's comment.

Well, usually every 3rd or fourth star is a simulation when I use the PH interface. You may search for #simulation and zoo3hans and you will find hundreds of them. And you have done this already earlier. For me it's practically impossible to do scientific work with the K1 data presented this way here on PH.

So I work mainly on K2 now (together with Mark, Ivan and a few other cracks). Of course I know exactly why you do the simulations, but there are much too many!

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

• DCaccavale31 by DCaccavale31

The definition of "stimulated transit" is crucial to scientist understanding how planets form and how the solar system functions. This technique is used by scientist to detect when planets pass in front of stars. It is not essential for scientists to know the exact size of the object because that is determined by the brightness level of the star. If the terrestrial object is larger, the more light the object blocks. Thus, inherently causing the stars brightness level to become dimmer. With just analyzing the planets solely, questions pertaining to Gas Giants and finding other planets cannot be further studied. For instance, if scientist detected one planet similar to the size of Earth, no evidence can be retained to relate the planets with gas giants because the amount of missing planets were not accounted for in their data. To locate the fraction of missing planets, scientist used Kepler's light curves into PH interface. These transit's are identified by a red spot.

Posted

• kisfred by kisfred

hello, I am curious about how much simulated transit are spotted. Is there any statistic on this ?
    I understand the sim. could be boring in a long run, but i found them usefull educating the eyes to detect subtle variations.

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

The largest simulations are usually spotted pretty easily. The smaller ones, about 1-3 times the size of the Earth, is where it becomes much more difficult to see the simulated planets. These are rough numbers as the analysis isn't complete, but this is actually the most important part of the next (planned) Planet Hunters scientific paper.

Posted

• 2Tone by 2Tone

what about distance from the star as well could contribute we know my hand could hide the statue of liberty

Also, im curious about seeing a massive wave of increasing and decreasing light readings still clustered together is this a star with possibly an orbit?

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

Hello, 2Tone.

The distance from the planet to the star is SO tiny compared to the distance between the planetary system and Earth that it's completely ignorable. Imagine looking at a big screen TV in your living room, and now place a quarter 1 millimeter in front of it. It only takes up a tiny fraction of the TV. Now move the quarter to 2 millimeters away from the TV. It didn't have much a noticeable effect, did it? It still takes up a very tiny fraction of the TV.

As for your second, it's hard for me to judge without seeing the light curve you're referring to, but it sounds more like a variable star than a binary star.

Posted