Planet Hunters Talk

Newbie needs help

• Daze26 by Daze26

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advise on classifications. I don't have any formal science/astronomy education so I'm really coming at this very green. I have many many other questions but understand this may not be the most appropriate place to ask.

With the light curve here, I would have just used the tag #pulsating. Yet 2 fellow users have tagged 'transiting planet'. What am I missing? How can you guys tell? I figure if i'm going to spend time doing this, I really want to do it right.

Regards, Mel

Posted

• Daze26 by Daze26

I should probably add I was looknig at Q1-1

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

Hi Mel,

this is a tricky one to interpret and since the data is new no one here is likely to be able to give a definitive answer. Your opinion is as good as anybody elses.

My interpretation: The variation in brightness is irregular and relatively small ( less than 1% on the vertical scale) thoughout the entire light curve, which suggests to me that this is just intrinsic variability of the star. Pulsations, that is expansions and contractions of the star, are possible, but variations on this scale might just be starspots and flares. I very much doubt that any of the dips are transits. I hope that helps.

Happy hunting, David

Posted

• Daze26 by Daze26

Thanks David, your response helped a lot. It's great to get some feedback and interpretation 😃

Posted