Planet Hunters Talk

DATA SET AS ORDERED PAIRS?

• micheletrecaffe by micheletrecaffe

Hi, here's a question I haven't seen: is this data available as a set of ordered pairs or is it available in photographic form only?

When I first saw some of the Kepler planets that are identifed with a red circle, I thought, 'who the heck could possibly spot these?'. Thinking about it a bit, I realize that, with luck and a few very homogeneous light curves, it could be done.

The real trick, though, is eliminating the curves due to starspots on variable stars. My guess is that a lot of the tell-tale dips in these light sequences are masked by the starspot variation curves. It also seems to me that it should be possible to develop localized algorithms to 'correct' the curves and produce a graph that is more or less linear. From there, regression and statistical methods might be applied to ferret out the smallest amounts of valid variablility.

And now that I have re-invented sliced bread, I'll shut up!

Posted

OK, OK, I'm sorry if I offended anyone but really: any answer at all would be appreciated...! :-}

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to micheletrecaffe's comment.

Oh, not to worry about offending anybody. Most folks just contribute here and there when they can, but don't do much on the training of others these days. So takes a while to get an answer sometimes. But you are on to it, "ordered pair analysis" of time and flux (for change in brightness) is what anyone who takes a serious look at the Kepler data needs to do. There is some reading you can do on PH on how. Just look around for a bit and you will find it. And if you aren't intimidated by technical description suggest a browse though the NASA Kepler websites (just search for such on the internet). They have the raw data you can download to examine on your own, software tools, and plenty of other helpful information. And if you really want to get into this, the papers written by the professional astronomers look at the Kepler data in great detail. So hope this helps. And happy browsing and reading and trying out the data! Pop back in here and ask a question again, after you looked at some of the Kepler data and so forth. And hopefully someone will be familiar with the specifics you are asking about and reply.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

@micheletrecaffe

of course this is exactly what the Kepler Science Team is doing with their reduction pipeline. You could never find those smaller than Earth radius candidates without computer help. One of the crucual steps is a proper detrending of the light curve. I suggest you have a look at Kian's superb software at http://www.kianjin.com/kepler/detrend.tar.gz and read his tutorial at http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/science/discussions/DPH100ht7b

Posted

Hi, zoo3hans and ajamyajax

Thanks very much for the encouraging posts.

...My browser tells me the 'oldtalk' page does not exist...?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

@micheletrecaffe

What happens when you click "OldTalk" at the top of this page (the third icon from the right, just before the mail icon and the "Return to classifying" icon)?

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted