Planet Hunters Talk

The difficult 'Known Kepler Planets'

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe

Hi,
    I do not know if this has been discussed before but I hope you may point me in the right direction for the subject below. I am of course assuming that the Kepler transits are shown in the correct parts of the light curve.

Curve APH000032a
    Kepler ID 2986833

Late addition - I believe the quarter was 2-2

From what I can see, none of the transits on this curve show a dip. My question is, is there a paper anywhere that can explain this as I can only imagine that the transiting planet is very small or at a great distance from the star. I doubt that I would spot any transits like that but it would be interesting to know if there are any special parameters involved that show a transit without an obvious dip and whether it is a common place find.

Paul

Additional

Just had another thought as to why a known planet may not exhibit any obvious dip and that would be if it made a quick transit across the periphery of the star disc. Of course, if the planet had been detected by dips in any other quarters, then that could be interesting. It could mean the planet has a variable inclination to the star and/or the star is wobbly. Just a thought.

Posted