Planet Hunters Talk

What is preferred

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe

Hi Meg,

When I position a dip or dips I use the day scale at the bottom. Is this okay or should I use the day scale at the top.

Paul

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to PaulMetcalfe's comment.

In the interface it doesn't matter go more for what you see in the actual light curve rather than the values on the x-axis. The bottom x-tick marks are the time from the start of the light curve in days. The top axes is in a standard time for Kepler light curves called Barycentric Kepler Julian Date (BKJD) which starts at 0 on January 1st, 2009 (Julian day=2454833). It's the the standard time being used for Kepler observations so it makes it easier to find transits in other light curve sections and quarters, that's why we now list it. It was a feature request from many of the Planet Hunters volunteers on Talk. On Talk you might want to list both the BKJD and the time from the start of the light curve chunk.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks for the information. I was referring to putting comments on the talk board in case others wanted to agree or disagree. However, I suppose the most important part is the interface and I have probably put too much uninteresting stuff on talk, so unless I spot something unusual I will not mention 'possible transits' on talk. Thanks again.

Paul

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to PaulMetcalfe's comment.

I think you can put in Talk where you think there transits as well if you like. Others definitely do that and we've found planet candidates that we've published. So feel free to do what you think is best and hopefully some of the other volunteers will give their perspective as well.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted