Planet Hunters Talk

Top or Bottom?

• megadave2002 by megadave2002

Hello, I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct place, if not I hope a moderator can move it to the correct place.

In this sample I have 2 possible transits highlighted. The first looks like it could be a transit to me as the average light as a whole is lower. Then there is a simulation that only has the bottom of the light curve dramatically reduced in brightness. Are we looking for things that are similar to the simulation primarily? I find that sometimes when I miss a known planet they look much more like the first selected transit's pattern than a simulation.

Do you guys look primarily at the bottom of the curve for lower than normal registers or at the top of the curve for dips in the average? I have been doing a mixture of both for the last couple of days and I feel that I am seeing more than I used to but that has me concerned about false positives if I am coming at this wrong. Sample Light Curve

Posted

• megadave2002 by megadave2002

The image link isn't working as I expected. Here is a link to the image Link to sample

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

I tend to look to see what is dipping, so more lower than upper, but if it's clearly a dip the upper part should show some sign. The light curve you show is tough especially for shallow transits (made by smaller planets), I would definitely think about marking the two places where you put marks.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted