Planet Hunters Talk

Example of Potential New Type of Star System?

• CuriousScientist4722 by CuriousScientist4722

This is the closest star that I've found so far that seems like one i found one day, so this isn't the best example. My apologies for that. Anyways, the other day, i was at school doing this to pass time when i found what most people would call a "flare". Bu, i found that this "Flare" was very weird and unique. It almost seemed as if this "transit" was... going the other way! If you know what i mean anyways. Instead of having a DIP in light, it had several obvious flares that seemed periodic, almost like an orbit. Now, I have no clue if this is even physically possible, as i have only read physics books at my Junior High and never taken a course, but I have come to an odd conclusion about this star. I have reason to believe that a Star is orbiting this larger star, along with a planet. This would explain the dips in light, and the systematic flares. If there is some reason i am wrong, please tell me. Once again, this star I'm talking about is the closest thing i have come to the other star i found. Thank you for putting up this opportunity for people like me!

EDIT: Unlike an eclipsing binary, however, this possible theory would be 2 stars orbiting around each other, instead as a binary star system, it would be one star system orbiting a different star system. I believe that the smaller system only has small moons/rocks/planets orbiting it that were not picked up by Kepler.

Posted