Planet Hunters Talk

Three Planets?

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

I noticed three sets of transits with different recurrent periods every 11.1, 2.15, and 7.9 days. Can anyone else see it in Q1-2?

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Re 210308588 from Uni2013a: maybe a few short period transit with ~11.1d being more visible. Such blended possible small object events are difficult to confirm however and could be glitches. But the LC is fairly smooth with a possible small-ish K-dwarf star, so this one might be a good place to look for super-Earth or smaller object transits.

EPIC, 2MASS, J mag, H mag, K mag, J - H, H - K, (J-H spectral type, stellar mass est) (H-K spectral type, stellar mass est)

210308588 , 2MASS J03534643+1058227 , 13.184 , 12.607 , 12.480 , 0.577 , 0.127 , ('K5V', 0.75) , ('K4V', 0.78)

T1

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

Thanks for that. How far away is this star also?

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Well, I would have to look it up but you can do that. You said you have excelled in Astronomy, so this could be a nice research project for you. Good luck.

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

I have a lot of school to focus on. But I'll try what I can.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

School should come first. So good luck with your studies then.

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface in response to ajamyajax's comment.

School should come first.

Can confirm.

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

I did some research during free time. Star has so little data I couldn't find anything except it was a candidate.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Well, what about asking your science teacher for some help with this?

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

I have no true science teacher. Only science teacher teaches biology. My school doesn't have a physics teacher...

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Ok, well maybe this will inspire you and others who might be interested of course:

"High school student helps discover new planet, calculates frequency of Jupiter-like planets"

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-high-school-student-planet-frequency.html

But listen to Shellface and do your studies first. 😃

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

Okay.

Also, I downloaded that application that he used. Thanks.

Posted