Planet Hunters Talk

Strange Zig-Zag Pattern

• bundrew by bundrew

I noticed that in Q1-2 and Q1-3 that there are a series of very regular highs and lows looking like a zig-zag pattern in the starlight data. At first I thought that they appeared 11 days apart, but it looks more like the data from Q1-2 overlaps with the data from Q1-3. Still, it seems to be a very odd feature that I've never come across before. The pattern appears to be regular and oddly ordered for a transit. If it is a transit, could this be evidence of a large ring or perhaps an exomoon? What phenomena could cause something like this? Dust cloud with thick and thin bands? Large comet passing in front or orbiting around briefly? Something else perhaps? I'm just spitballing, trying to think about what it might be, but I've never encountered this before so I wonder if anyone else has ideas?

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

It is a glitch visible on lots of light curves. It is probably caused by movements of Kepler.

Posted

• bundrew by bundrew in response to davidbundy77's comment.

I figured it might be something like that, rather than an actual astronomical object. I've never seen it before, but I'm on the site sporadically so that might be why. Thanks for your input!

Posted