Planet Hunters Talk

Multi-Planet System?

• bundrew by bundrew

There are transits at Q1-1 day 4.5, Q1-2 day 27.25, Q1-3 day 7.5. Since this isn't a regular pattern, I believe that this is a potential multi-planet exosystem. Unless there is some other possible explanation? Thoughts?

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

ID 210848071 listed here http://talk.planethunters.org/#/boards/BPH0000007/discussions/DPH0000qr5?page=1 by zoo3hans

His comment "Period maybe 41.72 days. At 2235.52 and 2277.24. Not so sure about this candidate."

See also page 6 of same discussion.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

210848071: well I just saw one distinct object transit with two events and those are slightly different. So this one could be a PC or a slightly blended EB perhaps. The transit shape and depth favors the PC and the longer duration favors the EB. But the stellar params are consistent which I think favors the PC again. So take your pick. An estimate of 1.04x R_sol used for the fit here.

s1=2235.525 p1=41.70 d1=0.27 (6.48 hours)

EPIC, 2MASS, J mag, H mag, K mag, J - H, H - K, (J-H spectral type, stellar mass est) (H-K spectral type, stellar mass est)

210848071 , 2MASS J03343623+2035574 , 9.770 , 9.432 , 9.368 , 0.338 , 0.064 , ('G6V', 0.97) , ('F9V', 1.14)

au min-max 0.21 0.24

stellar diameter in solar units min-max 0.9 1.075

stellar mass in solar units min-max 0.71 1.06

period in days min-max 41.711 41.715

duration in hours min-max 6.363 6.65

F1

Posted

• bundrew by bundrew in response to ajamyajax's comment.

I noticed after posting this comment that the events in Q1-2 and Q1-3 were actually the same event. The data were overlapping from the end of Q1-2 and the beginning of Q1-3. Personally I'd prefer to believe it a planet candidate, but it could be an eclipsing binary as well. The reason I'm leaning more toward PC is because the dip in starlight is rather small, and most of the EB I've seen have been much larger events, causing the light to dip a much larger percent of the overall variation in starlight. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this and if it is confirmed. Thanks for including more data, I didn't think to check the EPIC database or other databases to get more information on the star. I think I also saw some sort of calculator for exoplanets, but I didn't get a good look at it and I couldn't remember where it was or what it was called. I believe it's somewhere in the forums. I'd love to be able to plunge deeper into the data, rather than staying on the surface and picking out transits then moving on. Being able to get a really good understanding of the star and PC, especially for very promising ones, would be absolutely fascinating!

Posted

• bundrew by bundrew in response to davidbundy77's comment.

Thank you for including the link to that thread, it was an interesting read. I didn't realize people were going through their categorizations with such extensive care, though it makes sense to me that there are a number of highly dedicated citizen scientists (and likely professional scientists as well) who are merrily combing through the starlight data and sharing with others.
    Also, you have the exact same name as my brother, so I was rather surprised to see his name pop up here. It was a nice little surprise and one of those funny coincidences that make my day. So, thank you for having your name. I suppose I should thank your parents actually, but I'll just play it simple and thank you instead.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Now confirmed as a Neptun sized planet with a possible rocky density: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1601.07608v1.pdf

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

The paper is very interesting. If this is a rocky planet (43% chance according to the model in the paper), then it is the largest known rocky exoplanet to date.

Posted