Planet Hunters Talk

planet hunter question

• dark_does_matter by dark_does_matter

i am just starting out on the olanet hunter project and i have been through the usual tutorial but i have a question, if i understand the procceedure correctly the light is measured from the star, and if a planet does cross infront of it then the light will dip/dimm signifying the presents of the planet, but what if the the planet itself has its own moon , will this be something that again will show up and be measured in the changing /dimming of the suns light , and will the difference in the 2 measurements be enough to stand them apart and be understood correctly within the data???

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen

First of all, welcome to the project!

As for your question, you are partly correct. The detection of a star-planet-moon configuration could be identified as an additional dip. Here is an example before the ingress:

enter image description here

The figure is from the following paper: ON THE DETECTION OF EXOMOONS - Michael Hippke.

But there is more to it than that, when looking at it from a statistical point of view a less intuitive outcome occurs (brightness increase):

enter image description here enter image description here

The figures are from: DETECTING EXTRASOLAR MOONS AKIN TO SOLAR SYSTEM SATELLITES
    WITH AN ORBITAL SAMPLING EFFECT - René Heller
    . I can definately recommend this paper.

If you are interested in the exomoon subject you might want to find some of the work by David Kipping and his HEK team (Hunt for Exomoons with Kepler). https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/HEK/

This possible exomoon/ring signal might be one of the best candidates from the PH community: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/boards/BPH0000005/discussions/DPH00004ab (page 2) , this being said, the event could be caused by variability or the presence of an additional planet.

PS: No exomoon has been detected yet.

Good hunting!

Posted

• dark_does_matter by dark_does_matter in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

thanks for getting back 2 me on that, so if by some chance i manage to find that elusive exomoon make sure to tell every 1 it was me,,lol.and thanks for the explaination its alot clearer now, and the examples helped me understand it so much more clear. I absolutely love this site!!!!

Posted