Planet Hunters Talk

APH00015au - Multiple Transiting Planets

• sph87inx by sph87inx

Hi! Just wanted to bring up APH00015au. After looking at all available quarters, there appears to be several - possibly 6 or more - distinct planets orbiting this K-dwarf. I'm new here at PlanetHunters ( I've only been here for a few days ), so I'm still getting a feel for what's "normal" here. So, is it normal to see several planets orbiting a K-dwarf? Also, out of curiosity, how do I go about figuring out how far away this star is from us ( i.e. light years away )? Finally, how do I find out more information on these planets/potential planets - masses, orbits, etc.? Here's what I'm seeing with this particular star, assuming orbits remain the same ( I know, it can be a dangerous assumption ):

Q 1-1: Planet 1 - Day 18
    Q 1-1: Planet 2 - Day 22 ( 4 days after Planet 1)
    Q 2-3: Planet 3 - Day 12
    Q 2-3: Planet 4 - Day 13.5 ( 1.5 days after Planet 3 )
    Q 3-2: Planet 5 - Day 23.5 ( at least 6.5 days from nearest Planet). Nearest visible planet is 18.5 days prior.
    Q 4-1: Planet 6? - Day 15.5 - no other Planet visible - possibly Planet 5.
    Q 11-2: Planet 1 = Day 2, Planet 2 = Day 7.5, Planet 5 = 26.
    Q 13-2: Planet 6/7? = Day 0, Planet 2 = Day 11, Planet 5 = Day 29. Planet 1 is expected to be around Day 7, but is nowhere to be found.

Anyhow, I know I'm a "newbie" at this, but I think that this star might warrant further observation.

Best,

Sphinx

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to sph87inx's comment.

Good work really. They are known planets and candidates however, but still fascinating to examine.

Try putting the KepID of 6508221 on the Objects of Interest (KOI) list here:

http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/

Then press Tab perhaps to move to a different column which refreshes the list, and you should see two confirmed planets and two more planet candidates.

If you search the internet for Kepler-152, you will find more interesting information on this system. I believe NASA even has short animations of the confirmed planets so far. So again nice work, and hope you enjoy further planet hunting.

Posted

• sph87inx by sph87inx

Thanks ajamyajax! That's an awesome website - lots of useful info. It's good to know when I see a possible transit if someone else has already discovered it or not. This is a pretty interesting system - I'll be sure to keep my eye on it to see if the 2 planet candidates become verified down the line. Thanks again!

Posted