enter image description here

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

I just don't get all this "Variable Star of Orion Type" part

Why!!??

VSX claim it is

IN: Irregular nebulous variables
    Nebular or Orion variables, irregular variables associated with bright diffuse nebulae.

Which is kinda of not right if you ask me

OR there is a second star that falls in aperture and it is RR Lyr

Posted

• Shellface by Shellface

You're definitely right - this is clearly an RR Lyrae variable. There is only one reference for the variability type, and it comes from 1944, so it should not be taken as infallible.

I would wager that the classification is due to the fact that the star lies at the edge of the Rho Ophiuchi complex:

(the star is marked by the cross)

It is clearly not associated with the nebula, and I imagine it lies beyond it, but it seems like the most likely misclassification. Perhaps the old work had limited data, so they could not clearly identify the nature of the variability.

The star lies fairly close to the globular cluster M80, as marked on the image, but it has a considerably larger RA proper motion, so they don't appear to be related - though maybe ejection would be able to increase the star's velocity to such a degree. Perhaps that's worth looking into.

As the star lies behind such a major nebulosity, its colours are strongly reddened and probably substantially extincted, so care should be taken if it is to be studied further.

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Thanks for the input Shellface!

Here is whole LC apparently showing Blazhko effect

A rare case where raw LC is better than corrected

Posted