Planet Hunters Talk

Fewer sims please?

• brite2006 by brite2006

I volunteered because I thought my time would be useful - but I keep getting fed simulations. This just feels like you're wasting my time - an attempt to keep us on our toes - so please stop. Otherwise we may as well mark any random image as having a transit, just to keep you on your toes!

Posted

• brite2006 by brite2006

Yeah, this is getting seriously annoying. I thought this project was about appealing to the wider public to see if they would help and volunteer their time. But apparently you all have so much time on your hands you can set up simulated transits and keep feeding them to us - as if we have nothing better to do than look at faked data.

At first I thought it was a test to see how well volunteers could spot the sims, and therefore potential spot real transits - but it's getting old and tiring already, like a bad joke being repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated.

Either you really would like us to volunteer our time for something useful, or you don't and are just taking us for granted.

Posted

• DemiDragonqueen by DemiDragonqueen

the sims are there so the researchers have control data to compare to when they're looking at real data. They're not testing you, they're testing themselves. Either way, stick around for when the TESS data gets released, everything's gonna be revamped then apparently, im p excited

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli

Personally, I get tired of seeing "badsim" all the time. That is more distracting than all the sims, especially since a lot of those complaining do not know the purpose for including sims. I don't think any of us will miss the sims or the complaints about them.

Posted