Planet Hunters Talk

Is PlanetHunters still active?

• Poslovitch by Poslovitch

Hi.

I'm asking me if PlanetHunters is still active : all Objects from the talk tab are "updated 6 months ago" but when I check them, there are newer comments.
    Also, there is no more blog entries...

Is PlanetHunters still active? Do our work is used?

Posted

• francomallia by francomallia

Hi, same question.....
    Is PlanetHunters still active? Do our work is used?
    there will be new publications about our work in the future?

Posted

• crooksy87 by crooksy87

i think they have a new project searching for planet 9 now, so im not sure if they still use this website

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather

As the search for Tabby's Star started here, I would say this website is still active.

Posted

Yesterday, I received news that a new Zooniverse project is being Beta tested. From looking at it, it seems to be a planet hunting project, looking at objects from K2 to TESS. I'm not sure how it and PlanetHunters.org are suppose to interact.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to johnfairweather's comment.

Ok great, what's the name of this new planet hunting project so we can look for it? And did they mention when it might be available? Thanks.

Posted

It is called "Candidate-Vetting" (obviously can't be called PlanetHunters), but it is still in its Beta stage, which means that it is still being tested before it is released to the public.
    As I said above, it is using the same data as planethunters.org, so I wasn't quite sure how it was enhancing the search for exoplanets.
    There was no mention of PlanetHunters.org in its About section, so I wonder if the authors of "Candidate-Vetting" have heard of PlanetHunters.org.?

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Well, vetting candidates is not for beginners so doesn't seem like any competition with the original design here.

But I appreciate you trying to stir up the pot a bit on their behalf. And we'll see what the vetting team comes up with! I do hope it is a serious project because then we can do our best to help there also.

Posted

OK thanks for that information.

It might be a useful exercise, to choose the same star from each project and see how they compare.

(Incidentally, I attended a start-up exoplanets detection project in London last week, however it uses telescopes, as a starting point.)

Posted