Planet Hunters Talk

A few suggestions

• nathanial_hoge by nathanial_hoge

If I might be so bold. I have some interface suggestions that may, or may not, be of benefit.

Firstly, An option in the UI to turn off simulated transits. Most of the simulations are so obvious, I don't even bother marking them, as it is obvious they are a simulation. This has caused me to skip over a couple actual transits over the last few months.

Second, in relation to the first, occasionally I notice a transit at the very last second. Perhaps an option to enter a star identifier and be able to pull up the data for analysis and marking. That way if we miss one, or want to go back to it, we are able to do so.

Lastly, an option for a different display. I would like to see a toggle that essentially connects the dots, so to speak. This would make it much more efficient when analyzing the very noisy stars.

Thanks for your time, to whomever may see this and be able to pass it up the line to the developers. Also, additional comments are more than welcome!

Posted

• RogueArchon by RogueArchon

I agree with all of these things, the first being what I was about to post here. I'm sure I'm not alone in that I take this seriously, and the prospect of spotting transit is exciting! So when simulated transits pop up every couple of minutes, it's really frustrating. It's a real let-down when I think I've found one and it's just yet another simulated transit.

Thanks!

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

You shouldn't skip over simulated transits. They're important for us scientifically. If we don't know how good users are at finding simulated planets, it's impossible for us to figure out how common planets really are around stars.

Posted

• adnet by adnet

If I can add my 1c to this conversation... I would love to see the an 'Full Screen' option where the main window could be expand to max size of a monitor. This would improve the overall experience.
    As well over the #hastags - I would love to see 'click&add' hashtag options under each comment windows, this way it make the progress faster, instead of copy/paste or typing.
    Overall I submitted 825 samples in 1 day... I'm impressed
    Best of luck!

Posted

• Yade by Yade in response to JRSchmitt's comment.

LMFAO - so simulated transits are scientifically important for you, because you wan'a figure out how good users are at finding simulated planets to figure out how common planets are around stars.

1. Simulated planets have nothing to do with real planets. Your simulator sucks. I espcialy remember the one where the red dots was placed on a spike, and i'm quite shure, because other users mentioned it in their comments too. There probably was a spike from the start, and when a tiny planet is simulated it only lessens the spike a bit, but ther's NO way you can use such data to conclude a planet passed by, unless you have the data measured from inside the planets orbit and can compare them to the data you measure from Kepler, but in that case - what do we need Kepler for ?
    2. Those reasons you stumble around in, tell me you don't evaluate findings, you probably just want a computer to calculate on a bunch of spotters who get different evaluations acording to how good they are at guessing if a spike would have been bigger than it is if a planet had not passed. Pure stats.
      In that case i bet you'r better off by programing an algorithm for evaluating the data, it may be complicated but far from as complicated as the human factor if you only deal with a single individual. Since you deal with multiple different personalities it seems too far out.
    3. To learn the task, and improve their skills the users have to be able to evaluate their findings. In most simulations they don't get the chanse, now I can tell you what to do to enshure feedback EVERY time, but i just jumped to your profile, and it looks like you don't work on it yourselv. In that case I don't think you deserve further information from me. If you guys running this site just expect to lean back and let others do the work for you, you will NEVER understand how it works.
      Fact is - if you mark the simulations, you don't get to see any red dots in most cases, and therfore don't know if you'r right or wrong.
      So i just clik "No Transit" each and every time.
    4. The data are too crappy. I learned that by cliking fast through a lot of your simulations, and pausing on the invisible ones. There you find points that in no way difer from the rest of the data, still they'r marked red. We simply need higher zoom or the pure numbers with a lot of decimals to spot the difference. Such planets can be spotted by a good program, but not by the human eye on a computerscreen in a crappy small cordinate system where the points are bigger than a flypoo.
    5. You need to INFORM the users. Those people work for FREE, and you shit on them. I cliked through a lot of data to see how many simulations you have to go through, and i noticed other users asking when it ends. You guys are just to arogant to ansver. INFORM god dam it !!!
      Those two confusing lines you typed above tell me ther's a program evaluating peoples ability before they get real data. WELL WELL WELL - TELL IT !!!
    6. If you start up a class and don't ever inform them they will be evaluated and either pass or fail - how many do you think will pass ???
      I can tell you the number is VERRY small. Just this week here in Denmark, they took in 12 people who all had worked in public service for over 30 years, none of them had any isues and there had never been complains about their work. They were run through 3 or 4 fast educations around what they used to work with and then withour warning taken in for a test, telling they would get sacked if they failed. 8 failed.
      Now - how do you think it is with motivation here, where all kinds of people come in to perform something they have zero experience with. They are told a minimum, stares on stupid simulations without understanding the purpose, and for each gets more impatient for the real deal and less motivated for each time they are cheated to finish another task just to realize it was ANOTHER SIMULATION. The less motivated, the more mistakes again leading to the program giving them more simulations and demotivating them further. It's an evil selvgenerating cirkel.
    7. You guys are a bunch of scammers and conartists. You crap on the users, you suck bigtime and i wish i get a chanse to kick your asses deep enough to get poo up to the knee.
    8. Now you get mad with me because i tell the pure truth, you should be greatefull i did the work and provided the information. As far as i can see on your profile you never lifted a finger to test what users experience, still you play boss in the debate without knowing a dam shit about how this works, just expecting the program and the unifformed users you tread like dunkeys, shall do the work. Try it out and search for the things that create interest and motivation. If finding planets isn't fun and inspiring for you, you can't expect anyone else to take part.

Posted

Sorry - forgot to mention, each time i clik "No Transit" i get the message: "Nice Work!" no matter how many transits there were.
    Under "Discussions about this star" i see the coment i made for another star yestoday, and it will be there for the next simulation.
    Every lineshift i entered in the last long comment was deleted by your site, i guess the same will happen here.
    There'r countless such bugs. You guys simply HAVE TO act as users and note them yourselv, don't expect all users to be as helpfull as me, most people just surf on to the next site. Life is too short to waist on crappy sites and the internet if far too big and entertaining to sit here working for free while being spit on by arogant idiots who feel free to waist peoples time and not to inform about shit.

Posted

• elianagaspar by elianagaspar

i agree with you. I don't know if i'm helping at all and it would be nice to have feed back for real and a decent learning classe to start

Posted

• Yade by Yade

You probably do help, but they could get a lot more out of you by chosing another aproach.
    Asking for a decent learning classe proves your potential. Thery could build an extrodinary brainbank on people as humble and serious as you, they just have to realize it must be founded in equality and trust. Unfortunatly we still have an elite who think everybody paying their huge income are slaves and can be treated like monkeys in a lab.

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

Yeah, definitely not going to respond to that wall of text.

Posted

Well you just did. Now we can wonder why you chose to dodge all the isues. As a minimum you could have comented on the single line left by elianaspar, but maybe you feel "the wall" is his fault too, since he take part in the discustion.

Your atitude towards me and elianspar can't suprice anyone, when looking at your original respond to the suggestions brought by nathnial_hoge. The arogance on this "help board" verry much reflect rest of the site.

Posted