Planet Hunters Talk

Notifications

• Hildifons by Hildifons

To those of you fellow Planet Hunters who have found planet candidates, how do you get to know you've found something new? Does the PH science team send you a notification, or do you find out by yourself when a new paper by PH is published?
    Thanks!

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Dear dedicated and patient Planet Hunter: it is probably best that your question be answered by the Science Team. We are all just like you but with different levels of experience. Also consider there is probably a blog discussing the process here somewhere if you want to look while waiting. Sincere best of luck!

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister in response to Hildifons's comment.

Unlike our old planethunters site, we dont yet have any dedicated notification page or process which we can open & check for any potential candidate discovery's and / or the names of its first discoverers. It added excitement with anticipation, It gave value and acknowledgement to all the hard work put in by many pioneers & it sure kept the likes of me in the hunt http://old.planethunters.org/candidates

Personally & also objectively! I believe & still do that the exclusion of such an important user / contributor focused & dedicated link on the new planethunters site was and still is a mistake.

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons

Thank you very much ajamyajax and djsimister for your kind answers. I've been around for a couple of years, and while I still enjoy a lot classifying light curves, sometimes I don't know whether clicking and tagging at the main interface is enough, or if to make a helpful difference I need to learn how to use those other tools some volunteers use at the Science boards. It would be great to know, each time a new paper is published, which method was employed by the PH volunteers, and which planet candidate/s was/were discovered by each member. What I mean is, it would be great to have a bit more info on how, when and by whom the results were achieved.
    More feedback please. Thank you! =)

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to Hildifons's comment.

I believe most science teams in published papers often document what tools they used for doing that scientific analysis right in the papers. Most of those are available for public use too, I think. Look for hyperlinks and so forth to download and try for yourself. Or search for them perhaps. What you see here is often independent of all that. For example, I write my own programs and draw my own charts. But the data itself is generally free to the public for you to do the same. There are web pages and links here somewhere for that too, but you’ll need to look around for those or search the internet. I should tell you all of these products and data require a fair amount of patience minimum and some level of comfort with things technical. But give it a try if you are interested.

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to ajamyajax's comment.

Thanks for the heads up! What I would like to know I guess is, should I stop using the main interface and start using independent tools in order to have more chances of finding something? How many candidates/planets have been found so far using the main interface?

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to Hildifons's comment.

That is a good question, and a fair question. And I wish I could tell you but I really don't know -- for sure. It is unlikely many of the recent paper candidates came from the main interface though simply because it has been on K1 data and the most recent paper was K2. The single transit candidate paper before that was K1, so maybe some came from the main interface?? But again I really don't know. That was one of the reasons why I mentioned the science team would be best to answer your questions. The other reason is, that is their responsibility as it were and not the users here. Just pls keep in mind that no one can guarantee you or me credit for volunteer work on any site. So I hope this helps a bit anyway.

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to ajamyajax's comment.

It does help, thank you very much for taking the time to answer! =)

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

Hello.

Many of the candidates in older papers were classified on the PH interface, but then also highlighted here on Talk. In general, we included users as authors on the paper who were the first to mark a transit on the interface, the first to talk about it on Talk, or gave us important information within Talk. All other people who classified those specific planet candidates successfully or contributed a little bit to it on Talk were included in an online acknowledgments page.

My next project that is about halfway done is ONLY using classifications straight from the interface, nothing on Talk. I so far have no idea how successful the project will be. You can read more about it here: https://blog.planethunters.org/2014/09/11/planet-occurrence-rates-2/

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to JRSchmitt's comment.

Hello JRSchmitt, any updates on your next project? Things have been a bit quiet here these last 7 months. Thanks!

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

That project continues. There's a second, smaller round of crowd-sourcing in it, and it's slow at the moment. As of two months ago, that crowd-sourcing was over 50% finished.

Things probably will be slow for a while. The Kepler mission has been so thoroughly searched by astronomers using automation that it's difficult to find new objects visually. The K2 mission data is quickly pounced on by everyone who have perfected their codes on Kepler data over the last few years. Some astronomers have entire K2 campaigns searched 24 hours after they're released. It takes a lot of time to go through all the stars visually, and by then, more campaigns have already been released.

TESS will probably be the next big wave. It's a completely different instrument with different observing patterns, so that's when I expect Planet Hunters to become very active again.

I'm also on my way out. This is my last semester before I graduate, and I'm spending half of it at a fellowship away from research before I move into a career in science policy. We're looking for a new graduate student or post-doc to take over.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to JRSchmitt's comment.

Joey, best of luck in your new life! Many thanks for all your efforts, appreciate what you have done to help us here. Best Regards, Mark

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to JRSchmitt's comment.

Thanks for the update!

Posted