Planet Hunters Talk

Simulated transits?

• ericbell by ericbell

Dear moderator,

I use planet hunters for my college class assignments (and classify myself sometimes). The simulated transits were really useful to calibrate how well one was doing in classifications both for myself, and for my students (I asked them to make the simulated transits the centerpiece of their writeup, they showed how well the students were identifying real transit signatures when they were in production rather than training mode - that's why I found them personally useful too, I tuned my performance to catch anything that looked like the simulated transits).

They appear to have gone away, or are at best a lot less frequent than before (I am a sporadic user). That seems a shame both for helping me classify better and for using this excellent interface to teach students about transiting planet detection. I just wanted to check if I've misunderstood something (maybe there's a 'turn on simulated transits' button?), or at least lend my support to any initiative to reintroduce them.

Many thanks, Eric

Posted

• tsboyajian by tsboyajian scientist

The simulated transits should be back up in the next few days. We need them too!
    Best,
    Tabby

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons

Great to have new lightcurves and the sims back up! Thank you very much!
    One question though, are the simulated transits inserted into random (but real) lightcurves, or are their lightcurves simulated too?

P. S.: Watch out for 90 days' lightcurves. I've come across 2 so far.

Posted

• Chinabob by Chinabob

I have been involved, over many years, victim in many zooinverse projects especially this one, however, I find some of the simulations to be impossible to isolate, if I followed their example I would be marking trans all night. Please make them more realistic.

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77 in response to Chinabob's comment.

You are not supposed to be able to spot all the simulated transits.

As explained in this blog post the purpose of the simulations is to test which sizes of planets can and cannot be found by the project as a whole. Using this information the science team can extrapolate from the classifications by planet hunters to estimate how many planets of different sizes actually exist. It is a common misconception that simulations are being used to test or train users, but according to the blog this is not the case.

Posted

• tsboyajian by tsboyajian scientist in response to Hildifons's comment.

do you remember which star had a 90d light curve?

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to tsboyajian's comment.

Unfortunately I don't. I saw two of them a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't take note of those. Sorry. =/

Posted

I found one just now:

Zooniverse Id APH0001264
    Kepler Id 5563287
    Quarter 17-1

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH0001264?quarter=17-1

Posted

• Chinabob by Chinabob

Re my comment re imposs transits, thanks for the info as this clarifies the situation for me.

Posted

APH00010r0 Q 17-1

APH000119z Q 17-1

APH00011aj Q 17-1

APH00011x2 Q 17-1

Posted

• lunacanales by lunacanales

DEAR MODERATOR,

YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO TRAIN US, BUT IT DOES. AFTER A FEW SIMULATIONS, WE LEARN HOW THEY LOOK AND WE GET BETTER AT IDENTIFING THEM.

YOU CAN ADD SIMULATIONS AND HIGHLIGHT THEM AND SHOW US THE SIMULATED PLANET SIZE AND ORBIT .

BUT IN THE DISSCUTION OF THE CHART, SOMETIMES WE FIND OUT THE STAR IS ALREADY KNOWN TO HAVE REAL OR CANDIDATE TRANSITS, IT WOULD BE NICE FOR YOU TO ADD THIS INFORMATION SO WE CAN SEE IF WE SELECTED SOMETHING NEW OR IF ITS SOMETHING ALREADY IDENTIFIED BY YOU, JUST THE SAME WAY YOU SHOW THE SIMULATION DATA, MAYBE IN OTHER COLOR.

YOU DONT WANT TO TRAIN US, BUT WHATS RONG OR BAD WITH THAT? IF WE DONT GET FEEDBACK HOW CAN WE KNOW HOW WE ARE DOING AND HOW CAN WE HELP YOU IN A BETTER WAY?

Posted

Four more:

APH00010pl Q 17-1

APH000106x Q 17-1

APH0000zlt Q 17-1

APH000122r Q 17-1

Posted