Planet Hunters Talk

Long period planets

• toosix by toosix

Hi Everyone,

How does one mark a transit that seems to be a long period planet? Or do I just leave it unmarked? The light curve begins at the top left corner moving upwards and then starts moving downward in a consistent movement to the bottom right corner.

I am new to this so forgive me if it has been asked before.

Kind regards

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

Hi toosix, I don't think the feature you are describing is a transit. It is hard to tell without an example but it might be intrinsic variability of the star or a variation in the background brightness. In any case you don't need to mark it.

Most transits only last a few hours. Occasionally they are a little longer, in which case you can make the band wider to cover the transit.

Posted

• Travick by Travick

Hi, I have the same question, it seems that in the example images shown below, when we click on the help button, long transit planets cause a multi-day dip in brightness which is usually impossible to cover completely with the blue box. So what should we do, just mark the lowest part of the dip or click on the no transit button and finish?

Posted

• fflaguna by fflaguna

I have the same question as Travick. The example images appear to show multi-day dips in brightness, yet they can't be entirely selected with the blue box.

What should we do?

Posted

• fflaguna by fflaguna

So I carefully looked at the "Guide" images again. I found the answer:

We are only supposed to mark the extremely SHORT, sharp dips in star brightness.

And we don't mark the gradual dimming and brightening of the lightcurves that happens on basically every graph. It's only the VERY short blips and drops in brightness, the longest of which are almost never more than 2-3 days long for the ENTIRE dip and return--and usually they are much, much shorter.

When the guide/tutorial talks about "long-period planets" they are talking about planets that only make ONE extremely short blip on a 30-day slice, because their orbits take longer than 30 days at a time. Short-period planets (or multiple planets) will have more than one extremely short blip on the 30-day slice.

So hopefully this helps other new-ish users. Don't mark the slow, gradual dimming and brightening that happens in the lightcurves. I wish the tutorial/guide was more clear about that, because I thought it wanted us to mark them...

Posted