Planet Hunters Talk

Being able to view chat AND the star data at the same time would be useful

• si__ by si__

On a related note - having other hunters' comments is helpful, but NOT if I can't see the star data myself at the same time, so I can compare.

Basically, I'm having to reconsider my thoughts based on my memory of a complex set of data I stopped looking at a couple of seconds earlier.

"Huh, @xyz says it's #variable - but that doesn't seem to match the standardised picture of a variable star. @abc says it's #eclipsingbinaries, that's -exactly- what it looks like, based on the summary, I think it's an #eclipsingbinary too."

It's a tricky UX choice, because you don't necessary want to bias someone's opinions, but then, seeing other people's comments already biases, so that pooch has been screwed. In which case, showing them NEXT to the star data would be much more helpful.

Otherwise, I'm really just guessing what they might be referring to, if they've given a particularly unusual or unexpected comment.

Posted

• si__ by si__

Further to this, applying the following CSS to the page (eg using the Chrome Stylebot extension):

div#classify-summary {
    opacity: 0.85;
    }

makes it a LOT more obvious that the current star data is visible underneath the chat window. It's not ideal (the feedback pane on the left still occludes much of the view), but it's better.

Up to the designers if they want to put that in, or perhaps a clearer alternative (chat comments to the side of the star, etc). The above is good enough for me to be limping on with.

Posted

• melarish by melarish

I thought the same. Also, does it show chat from all quarters, so you're not always even looking at the same chart the chat is about?

Posted

• MrPapillon by MrPapillon

I sometimes think that the other people in the chat do not have the same zoom level as myself. I guess that would be a good way of having better data.

Posted

• Infinite_p0tat0 by Infinite_p0tat0

In my opinion, we should no be able to see other's comments before we post our own. This way we would not be influenced at all by others' interpretations of the star. Then, once we posted, we could see the other posts and learn from it to make a better identitification on a similar star later on. That looks like a way better way to proceed.

Posted

• Le_Graoully by Le_Graoully

Yes, but it should be an option then because for the non experimental guy like me it's cool to see what people say about a star because i can't actually remember how to describe all type of curve ( sorry for my poor english ^^ )

Posted

• JoshM813 by JoshM813

I've felt conflicted about this since I signed up a few days ago and started classifying. I kept wanting to see what others say so I can compare what they say to what I see. As I have gone on to do more though I think it is better to not be able to see it. At least not at first.

I have no problem with seeing comments from the other sections because sometimes I see something interesting and I look up the data for that section so I can see too.

Posted

• MrPapillon by MrPapillon

They should put more weight to people with more experience. So that new people can provide data, but with a low priority because of the time they will get used to classifying.

Posted

• sleepygirl by sleepygirl

Agree with @Infinite_p0tat0 - it would definitely bias our own 'findings' if we could see the previous comments while looking at the data. That is exactly why they have separated the two, and there is no back function. (nor can you see the star ID number when first looking at the data - so you can't search for it in the chats)

However, I would like to see a side bar or panel or something with the example images to compare with while looking at new star data - e.g. does this one look like the #eclipsingbinary or #cepheid example?

Posted

• si__ by si__

Another possibility (to see both at once), would be to tweak the css thus:

div#classify-summary { top: 500px !important; }

Although that's really for advanced players, since it can get a bit confusing having the star data on top and talk below - multiple submit buttons, a bit of scrolling up and down required etc.

However, if you're comfortable with that, it's MUCH faster, clearer and easier, particularly if you keep this list of possible hashtags open in another tab: http://blog.planethunters.org/2014/11/04/suggested-talk-hashtags/

Posted