Planet Hunters Talk

• x303 by x303

When a browser has ssl3 disabled (for example on firefox set ssl-version-control.current.security.tls.version.min to 1), it's impossible to log in with the new login windows, the old one still works. Because of the poodle attack (no joke), more and more browsers are switching off ssl3 by default. See also https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2014/10/15/ssl-3-is-dead-killed-by-the-poodle-attack
    Which basically means you have to make all galaxyzoo sites use TLS only.

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness Zooniverse Team

While I am by no means an expert in this area, the zooniverse.org secure cert uses TLS 1.0 and shouldn't have an issue when this transition occurs.

Posted

• x303 by x303

Well, if you set ssl-version-control.current.security.tls.version.min to 1 in the latest version of firefox (windows & linux), which forces to use TLS, i cant log in. Site then says: "Login is currently unavailable".
    If you set it to 0, i can log in again. Better try it out yourself and see what happens.
    Because of this, also cant log in with opera dev, coz they turned ssl3 off by default.

Posted

• bumishness by bumishness Zooniverse Team

I'll bring it up with those more knowledgeable in this area than I. Thanks for the report.

Posted