Planet Hunters Talk

General help and bugs during relaunch

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

We've had some big changes as you might have noticed. We hope you enjoy the new Planet Hunters.

If you need a quick answer to something on the site (main site or Talk) during the relaunch period then here's the place to ask. The science team, Zooniverse development team, and the moderators will be checking in on this thread over the next few days and will try to answer. In general we will be fixing issues and bugs over the next day or two - if you want to report a bug, then doing it here is fine or you can start a new discussion in the General Interface Help and Bug Reports subboard.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• sneeketeeke by sneeketeeke

I think it may be helpful to widen the y axis on many plots. It is hard to see top/bottom of some curves, especially in zoom mode.

Posted

• thanosk by thanosk

Hmm I like the redesign but there seem to be two bugs.

1. It seems all previous classifications (all 10.000+) and favourites have gone missing
    2. It seems that I am stuck in the tutorial since I get helful hints and stuff after every new classification. Am I missing something here ?

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen

I agree with @sneeketeeke.
    There seems to be a bug when classifying known Kepler planets, you can not discuss the star and I am not able to get directed to the talk page.
    I also think there a way too many simulated transits.
    Sometimes when a LC is classified it is not possible to view the next LC,I have to refresh the page, and when doing that I am not redirected to the initial LC. It would also be nice if the zoom feature would be available for the additional Qs of a LC. I would also suggest a 'Regret/undo' button concerning classifing.

Posted

• firejuggler by firejuggler

Unable to discuss know kepler too.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

thanks I'll document that and we'll get working on it. Thanks for your patience while we sort out the kinks before the K2 data goes live.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to thanosk's comment.

Hiya,

Yes the information from the old site can't be migrated over. The site was completely rebuilt from the ground up, so we can't carry over favorites and such because we don't have those stars in and we also know treat the star as the subject in talk.
    We think the downside of not being able to migrate that information was worth it. The old Planet Hunters is still up and you access old Talk from the link on the top bar, so you can still access that information.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

@ mschwamb
    Np. Btw, It would be valuable if the mentioned Q was automatically added to the discussion. It is almost impossible to figure out what members are referring to(when viewing other comments you get directed to Q1.1).

Posted

It is not possible to edit at comment unless the page is refreshed when discussing a LC.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

I'll suggest that - not sure if that's possible - I'll see what the development team can do.

~Meg

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to mschwamb's comment.

Or maybe another approach: Make the direction to the same Q as the member just classified instead of Q1.1.

Posted

• marcfam by marcfam

Can't classify

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to marcfam's comment.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Can you be more specific, so I can put in a bug report? Operating system, browser information?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

ok, there is definitly some bugs with kepler transit :

see APH00004hk

Posted

• czarnakuna by czarnakuna

Love the new interface and feedback - I feel I can finally learn something more about the classifications if I can see different kinds of simulated transits. Great work guys ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I cannot, however, see my previous favourites and classifications - I hope you'll bring them back soon.
    Also, I really liked the feature that I could use to check whether I helped to find any of the potential planet candidates - I hope you'll bring that back too, because it was a great motivator, at least for me.

Once again - great changes!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to czarnakuna's comment.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

The site was completely rebuilt from the ground up, so we can't carry over favorites and such because we don't have those stars in and we also know treat the star as the subject in talk. We think the downside of not being able to migrate that information was worth it. The old Planet Hunters is still up and you access old Talk from the link on the top bar, so you can still access that information.

Thanks for the feedback about the My Candidates, that may be something we can in add in the coming weeks to this version of the site.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• czarnakuna by czarnakuna in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi!

Ok, I understand - I think the new interface is worh losing the data.

However, you might consider exporting just the number of stars classified and display it at the profile subpage - I imagine it should not be very difficult to do. I know this is very important for some users and it also might be a good motivator for some.
    Plus, if you ever consider adding any gamification features (wich would be absolutely perfect for the project in my opinion) the number of the classified stars could be the basis for achevements/levels and other motivators. And I'm convinced that motivation is one of the most important things in the project - people do come here to help with the science, but the site should also do everything that is possible to make them stay just a little bit longer and make just one more classification ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Cheers!
    Beata

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

Hi to all
    I have one question, sorry if it is too much stupid. I read the analysis made with the previous version of planet hunters do not migrate here in this new version. If participants have discovered something during the previous analysis, will they informed about that?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to Barbalbero's comment.

Yes if there is something discovered during the previous analysis, we should be or already have contacted the discoverers. The science team definitely wants to make sure everyone gets the credit they deserve.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• tastiger by tastiger

I can't classify at all. After I go through the tutorial and then the first light curve with the known transits, either the transits don't appear or when I click continue the button goes away and nothing happens.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to tastiger's comment.

thanks. We're aware and working on fixing that.

Posted

We've added in a fix that now automatically adds the light curve quarter and section number to the 140 character box.

Posted

• djsato by djsato admin, moderator in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

Just deployed that fix.

Posted

It's alive!!! it work.

Posted

Problems? I see none!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to firejuggler's comment.

We're working on a fix. I'm not sure if there is a second planet you can't see or the transits need to moved slightly. We're working on a fix for that.

Thanks for the patience while we sort this out. A patch should have been deployed which should fix the not getting to the summary page so you can discuss the light curve.

Please let me know if you keep seeing the transits off.

~Meg

Posted

Thanks for the quickness of your answer.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

I miss two things in classifying:

1. Zoom facor 5 days (in addition to 10 days and 2 days). 5 days is the best zoom factor and has been proven in my last 50000 stars or so.
    2. vertical zoom (as in the old interface, or also in fixed steps).

Thanks, Hans Martin

Posted

• hiwayman by hiwayman

I'm having real problems getting the classification to move to the next subject. I click 'No Transits' & the circling arrow spins in the centre of the screen, but nothing else happens. I cannot get any further until I go back to the Home page ie. I escape out of the classifications, & then re-enter Planethunters!!! It's like the system is overloading & won't advance to the next star for me to classify.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to hiwayman's comment.

Sorry to hear that. I've put in a support ticket for the site. Can you tell me what browser (and version) and operating system you're using? Have you tried clearing your browser's cookies?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to djsato's comment.

Sounds great! I just want to add that it is still not possible to edit comments unless the page is refreshed when discussing a LC.
    Additionally, I would have to agree with Hans Martin especially regarding the second point. This feature would be valuable for discovering possible planetary transits in LCs which contains EBs:
    "I miss two things in classifying: 1) Zoom facor 5 days (in addition to 10 days and 2 days). 5 days is the best zoom factor and has been proven in my last 50000 stars or so. 2) vertical zoom (as in the old interface, or also in fixed steps)."

Posted

another kepler transit glitch.
    Should we start a thread for those?

Posted

I want to comment on one of my recent classifications: aph00001d4, there is a transit feature in Qx - 8.5. It is not possible to access the discussion page in http://www.planethunters.org/#/profile 'Recents'.

Posted

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001d4

Posted

third instance of mis-aligned kepler transit and seen transit

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to firejuggler's comment.

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

This time a "running wild" simulation which was presented to me (actually it's a known planet system!):
    sim1
    APH00003rf , KID 5640085 , Q5-3

Posted

Twitter tell me that they are aware, another thread here, tell me that they are working on a fix^^

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan

I encountered some sort of bug while classifying this one APH000060n; where after clicking "No transits/Finished" button said button just vanished and didn't lead to the discussion screen.

edit: It happened again
    enter image description here

edit2: and again
    APH00004vn

Posted

• kianjin by kianjin

Having the Teff and/or spectral type in the metadata would be nice to have.

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

Links to "Old Talk" do not work.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to arvintan's comment.

We're working on fixing the known planet candidates drawing. A fix was pushed, but it didn't seem to sort the problem. We've turned off the messages for the known-planet candidates so that should fix the issue for the moment while we sort it out. Apologies for the issue, and thanks for the patience while we go through these growing pains.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to kianjin's comment.

Added a request to add temperature to the metadata on Talk. Everything showing right now is an M dwarf (see blog post about planet occurrence rates) if that helps.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to davidbundy77's comment.

I've put in a bug ticket on that as well. We'll get that fixed hopefully soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• memetical by memetical

Same here, cannot classify after the tutorial. (Using IE with Win7). Regards, "m"

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to memetical's comment.

Thanks for the details. A support ticket is in. The Zooniverse development team will get to it as soon as they can.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• LiveLongAndPhosphor by LiveLongAndPhosphor

While classifying, I got this "unresponsive script" error using Firefox. I do like the new look though!

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://www.planethunters.org/main.c4dabd.js:2

Posted

• dantoto by dantoto

My browser crashes when I mark too many transits. Usually >5

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Now I get: in the Classifying page: Login is currently unavailable

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to zoo3hans's comment.

Thanks for reporting the issue. The Zooniverse is having some login server issues (a Zooniverse-wide issue not isolated to Planet Hunters). The development team are aware of and are working on. I think the isssues may just be about resolved (as I just logged in).

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg, Could the team fix the 'keyboard enter button'? It makes everything look terrible when the feature is out of order. Here is an example: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/boards/BPH0000005/discussions/DPH00001uu

Posted

Same KID but two different LCs in same Q1.1: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00002ce

Posted

It would be useful to be able to zoom on images in talk. This was possible in the old version with "examine star".

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to davidbundy77's comment.

I agree. See page 1 comment 4 & 6, it looks like they are working on it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.

Posted

I'm a little confused. You're pointing out a simulated light curve. What's wrong with it?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks for the feedback. It's something we plan on adding later into Talk, we just didn't want to hold back the launch of the site waiting for that feature to be implemented. I'm hoping in the coming month, the Zooniverse development will be able to add that feature.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

The simulated transit is located at ~10.5 the feature I am talking about is at ~13. This is the same star with two different talks(same Q): http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00002ce & http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001f2?quarter=1-1.

Posted

yes, both are simulations and apparently different transiting planets were injected into the same star. So that's why it has two different talk pages for the same quarter. I didn't make the simulations, but that's my guess looking at the meta data.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Unfortunately, that's been a feature in this version of Talk across all the Zooniverse projects that use this version.. You just have to hit enter twice for it to pick it up you want a new line. I can add it to the bug list, but likely it will be a long while if at all the Zooniverse developers change Talk to read a single enter as a new line.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Alright, but in: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00002ce there is only one listed simulation. Maybe both should be listed so we do not spend time on LC, Skyview, SAP_QUALITY, APO.... as I did in this case. When I classified it the first time it was only the obvious transit that was 'simulated'.

Posted

Ah.. that is great, good to know ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.

Posted

Okay. I think I get what you're saying. You see a second planet transit at ~13 days. My understanding is that only 1 planet was injected into a light curve section of a real Kepler light curve to make a simulated light curve. It could be a new planet transit that was missed that you're seeing at 13 days. Nothing is showing up on the TCE list for this star.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to dantoto's comment.

I can't reproduce that behavior. Can you give me details of your browser and operating system and version so I can pass it forward to the development team to try and debug?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Another request:

I've noticed that you get a red horizontal line in the classifying window when your cursor comes near the Y-axis. It then shows the flux. Can you do the same for the X-axis, i.e. when the cursor goes near the top of the window? It should then show the BJD. Thanks.

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to zoo3hans's comment.

That a great idea!

Posted

Yes that is what I meant. Additionally, I wanted to bring attention to the fact that the same star in the same quarter has two different 'talk discussion'.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

@Meg

Again I got a simulation (Q7-3) where the simulated transit were offset to the real ones of a Kepler favorite (KID 11187837, KOI 252, APH00006lb). The offet seems to be about 3.16 days, which is exactly the radius of the Kepler favorite planet! Maybe this applies to the other cases as well?

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

Hi Hans,

Thanks for reporting the bug.

One thing to note. Those aren't simulated. That light curve is actually a known planet candidate See the label in Talk above the 140 character comment box. The known planets were supposed to be turned off while the development team fixed the incorrect drawing, but I take it those are still live on the site. The developers now have a fix for the the transit marking for known planet candidates that should be live shortly. So the issue should be fixed now, hopefully.

If you see any more known planet candidates that show transits incorrectly, do let me know and I'll up the support ticket.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

that could be because one is a simulation. If you have examples can you please reply with links.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

I think we'd worry about that causing issues drawing transits, especially if someone marks at the top or bottom of the plot, but maybe something that could be added to Talk when they get the zoom and scrolling working. I can ask the developers.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Another example: APH000071z , Q14-3, KID 12352520 , it says: Planet Radius: 1.53 Earth Radii, Planet Period: 4.577026 days. Two red transits are marked (wrongly), maybe 1.53 atfer the real transit and then the next 4.577 days later?

Posted

Can you take a screenshot the next time you see it and post ?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Ok, I'll try it.

Also: In the last 1-2 days it happens often that the Talk page does not load except for the header. Reloading the page usually helps. Has anything changed?

Posted

it's a known bug in all the current Zooniverse talks that use this frame work. It isn't all the time, so it's been hard for the development team to track down, but they're aware of it and been trying various things to fix it. I sometimes find going to console view if Firefox or Chrome gets the page to load when it gets in that state.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan

Simulated transit for this one wasn't highlighted in red
    http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00000h3?quarter=3-1

Posted

• BubbinskiUT by BubbinskiUT

Unable to highlight the transits in the tutorial with my mouse - get message "you've marked a gap where we have no data" when I try to mark the transit. Using Win 8 and IE 11.0.12

Posted

Thanks. Can you send me a screenshot the next time. If you can't post it on Talk, you can send it to mschwamb@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw . That way I have something to show the development team so they can figure out what the new interface is doing. Every simulation I've gotten has looked okay.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to BubbinskiUT's comment.

The new site's having some issues with IE. Apologies for that. I've updated the support ticket with your comment, so hopefully that will help sort the issue. I hope it will be fixed soon. Thanks for your patience.

~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg,
    I have found at least 50 of those non-highlighted SIMTRANS. Here is an example:

KID 5262561.

Posted

Thanks. Arvin and Martti, can you also send me browser and operating system info?

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to BubbinskiUT's comment.

A fix should have just been pushed to the site to patch the IE 11 issues. Please let me know if you still are having trouble drawing transit boxes.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• BubbinskiUT by BubbinskiUT

Thanks Meg, I can draw transits w/IE 11 now.

Posted

We're aware of the broken scroll bar when zooming. A patch on the site caused the issue.We're reverting the code now on the site to before that fix went in. Thanks for the patience.

~Meg

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan in response to mschwamb's comment.

I'm using chrome and windows 8.

Posted

Hi Meg,

I am using chrome and windows 7.

Posted

Hi Meg

Here it is again, three different talk discussions, but now the days from the first(new) link do not match the two others:

New: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001hj?quarter=1-1

The other two:

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001f2?quarter=1-1

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00002ce

Posted

I don't know what mean. Can you please explain more. What do you mean by the from the first(new) link do not match the two others?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• djsato by djsato admin, moderator in response to mschwamb's comment.

The scroll bar should be fixed now.

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan

Simulation glitch is up again http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH000016h?quarter=10-1

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001bi?quarter=14-1

Posted

• djsato by djsato admin, moderator in response to arvintan's comment.

arvintan, what browser are you using?

edit: nevermind, you'd posted it earlier.

Posted

Thanks Arvin for the screenshots. At least on the top one I can see that where the simulated transit is. The development team is having a hard time duplicating this and so am I. Can you tell me if this happens with all the simulations or only some of them?

in case you're wondering, username djsato is Sascha, he's the lead developer for the Planet Hunters rebuild. He's been looking into this today.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan in response to mschwamb's comment.

This happens quite randomly. Sometimes, it does show. Sometimes, it doesn't. I think this glitch started occuring in just the past few days.

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

Last couple of simulations I have encountered did not show in red.

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe in response to mschwamb's comment.

This may help.

I normally get the red display if I click 'Finished' while not zoomed in. If I click 'Finished' when zoomed in, then I do not get the red display.

Paul

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to PaulMetcalfe's comment.

Thanks. I've updated the support ticket. Though I can't replicate on Firefox for Mac or Chrome on Mac, so this may take some time for us to sort through, but the development team is working on it.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to kianjin's comment.

Teff is now added to the metadata on the Talk subject pages.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

That "1x (all days)" gray fading message seems unnecessary to me. It seems to be displayed on every screen while classifying (in an IE11 test only).

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to LiveLongAndPhosphor's comment.

Hi LiveLongAndPhosphor

Thanks for the feedback. We have to balance between people that come and do a few classifications and people like yourself who spend more time in the interface. The message is more for people that are new to the site. We did that with the original classification interface too, a reminder would pop up about the scrubber and the zoom. So I don't think we'll be changing that feature, but if it's not fading after the light curve shows up does do let me know, and that we can get adjust.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi

From a personal point of view, it does not worry me about the red display not appearing on Simulated transits when zoomed in. I just ensure that I am not zoomed in when finishing a light curve.

Paul

Posted

Hi Meg,

The days(x-axis) from the 1. link do not match the two others:

1: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001hj?quarter=1-1

The other two:

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001f2?quarter=1-1

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00002ce

Posted

• heymicha by heymicha

When I mark a transit and click continue, it says there are more transits and highlights the one i already mark

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to heymicha's comment.

Hi,

Thanks for being a part of Planet Hunters. That's because that light curve had a simulated transit. You spotted the transit and marked it, but since it's simulated (the simulations will tell us what Planet Hunters can and can't find in terms of different planet types), we wanted to make sure we point it out so people don't think they discovered a brand new planet.

You can learn more about the simulations and what their role is here (click the simulations tab) and here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Yes but they are simulations and the Yale Planet Hunters science team made the simulations, so I don't know the specific details. It looks like they cut out slightly different portions between the two light curves. the BKJD are in the correct positions, so I think it's okay.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Of course, I just wanted to let you know.

Another thing: I do not know if you have noticed that the UKIRT images are a bit off. Will the images remain off-centered?

I probably should add that if the coordinates are added to Skyview the stas are centered.

Posted

• leogali_4 by leogali_4

Hi iยดm new in this site. I would like to know if there is a way to widen the Y axis my graphs only go as far as 0.9986 and is very hard to tell if a stars has any transits. Thanks

Posted

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like the developers cut off the precision on the ra value and that's shifting things. I'll see if I can get them to add the extra decimal points back.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to leogali_4's comment.

Welcome to PH!
    The feature you mentioned was available on PH(1), this is PH2 and it has been decided that the feature will not be a part of the new design. Other users have already commented on the same as you earlier in this discussion.
    I hope you will enjoy the site anyway!

Posted

• leogali_4 by leogali_4

Ok, so how can I tell if there is a transit in this image?enter image description here. All the examples I have seen show a much wider range in the Y axis. Maybe the data only goes as far as the graph shows, I donยดt know

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to leogali_4's comment.

Hi,

This image, I'd say there aren't any transits in that light curve. The y-axis scales with the lowest and highest data points. You're seeing all the data except for maybe one or two very high or very low isolated spurious data points. So you are seeing all the data in that light curve. In this light curve I don't see any dips that I would say have transits.

I hope this helps if you still have questions or concerns do post a reply, and I'll try my best to answer.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

When looking the same star on oldtalk, it looks wildly different. Why?

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00005ae?quarter=7-2

then click "View on old talk" and select quarter 7-2.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Another problem:

lately the new classify page is not reloading properly: I just click "Next subject", but the page then remains the same and displays the button "No transits", which cannot be clicked. Reloading the page usually get's you with a fresh general classify page where you have to login again, it's really annoying.

Posted

I'm not getting that bug in Firefox at least. Have you cleared your browser's cookies? See if that helps.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks for pointing that out. That would because they're not the same star. I'm not sure how the developers but the links together, but checking the Kepler archive on the source page from then old talk star and comparing the kepler id on the new Talk page, they don't match. I'll put in a note to the development team, but I don't know when they will get to it.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• LiveLongAndPhosphor by LiveLongAndPhosphor in response to zoo3hans's comment.

Re: "Another problem: lately the new classify page is not reloading properly: I just click "Next subject", but the page then remains the same and displays the button "No transits", which cannot be clicked. Reloading the page usually get's you with a fresh general classify page where you have to login again, it's really annoying."

I also get this problem (in IE11). As described earlier: after about 5 transits classified, the "No transits" button can't be clicked, so can't continue with classifying.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

@Meg

I use normaly firefox (version 32.0.3), but the problem of not loading properly the next star in the classify page happens also with Google chrome (Version 37.0.2062.120) and also on different computers (Windows XP, Ubuntu (version Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS),, SLES 11 SP3). Just to let you know (and especially the developers team).

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to zoo3hans's comment.

Agree.

Posted

Thanks for the detailed info. A support ticket is in. This one might take some time to fix if it's intermittent (since I can't replicate it currently), but I'll ask the developers if they can take a look on Monday.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JKD by JKD

since some days it turns out, that after 5 or so classifications it is not possible to go directly to the next classification (freezed next button)

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Another remark:

since we get only M-dwarfs to classify (nothing against this - I understand the Scientific reason behind it), I would leave out Cepheids as an example light curve. it seems to confuse the newbie user, as we see lots of #cepheid comments, which is nonsense since Cepheids are big giant stars. It bugs me a bit since I worked myself on the field of Cepheids a few years at the Astronomical Institute of the University of Basel.

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

Once again, I would have to agree.

Another thing: Why is it not an option to search for other users in 'Search'?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Yes Martti (we should be able to search for messages of a particular user). I also miss the button "all user / myself" to select the recent comments.

Posted

I agree, it was good having an overview of the posts who had new comments. I also miss getting an email notification when I receive messages.

Posted

That was a decision to include that made by the PI and the science team. For now we're on M dwarfs. We're working to get the K2 data in as quickly as we can and those could have cepheids in them (so are targeted others will possibly be new). We have limited development time left so that was a decision made so that the developers didn't have to push changes to that part when the K2 data comes online and we have other interface things that need to come online. I'm hoping we'll get the rest of the site functionality up this week or next week.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Hans and Martti,

Thanks for your feedback.

Most of this Talk has its build complete. This is the version used across the Zooniverse now. We had to switch to be able to implement the light curve viewer and the object discussion subboards (which I think make it easier to find who is talking about what stars). There may be able to be some improvements based on feedback from the Planet Hunters community since we're new to this Talk design, but I don't know what is changes are easy to make and can't be made (because of time and difficulty).

The best thing to do is to list your suggestions and feedback about new Talk in the Features Request thread so I can point the development team there and ask them what they can accommodate.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• L82 by L82

Bug report:
    Using Google Chrome (latest version) on Windows 8
    New light cuve loads aprox. 3 times in a row then it freezes and I need to reload the whole page again.

/P

Posted

• JKD by JKD

there are still problems with the โ€žNext Subjectโ€œ button after several classifications (freezing button)

Posted

• Tanzmetall by Tanzmetall

I love the redesign! Way fewer clicks, cleaner, prettier. Just one thing--today, it's started failing to load a new star. It shows me the one I just classified and the No Transits button is greyed out. I am using Chrome on a Mac.

Posted

Hi All,

Thanks for the bug reports about this no 'no transit button' issue every few classifications. There's a support ticket in. I have updated it with your most recent reports and descriptions. Thanks for the patience while the development team sorts the issue.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

The every 5 with the interface shutting down and not advancing should be fixed. Or at least a patch was pushed live to the site. Please let me know if this doesn't fix it.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Yes, looks fixed on my try with IE11 anyway. Thank you. I didn't get the educational pop-ups this time however. If that was the cause I hope they fix those also because some of them were brilliant. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

Please can the ability to unlock the Y axis be reinstated, with most LCs this doesn't matter all that much, but with a variable with large amplitude changes, shallow transits become invisible, unless you can spread the data points out vertically.

Image APH000048x this is an example of the sort of LC I am talking about

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to Ptd's comment.

Unfortunately that's how this interface is designed, so we're not going to be implementing that at this time. I can potentially see if future maintenance of the site would allow adding this feature to the Talk light curve viewer.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JKD by JKD

would also appreciate to have an โ€žunlockedโ€œ y-axis

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

I also miss the variable Y axis. It was a very useful feature in the old interface.

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

As of 10/9 the simulated transits are still not always showing highlighted in red after submitting. I'd say it's about 50/50.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to ggccg's comment.

Thanks for letting me know this is still goming on.

I've put in a support ticket for that when it was originally posted. There's not much more I can do about it right now other than remind the development team. I've inquired about a few other bugs and issues I think or higher priority, so I am hoping they will get to those soon. You're sure there simulations and not the known planet candidates. If you've got a list of APH ids that would be helpful for me to include in the support ticket.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• myrikhan by myrikhan

Hello:

I'm consistently running into known Kepler planets and simulated planets that are appearing in, above and/or within the noise of the light curve. Some are even appearing on the curve a flare makes. To date I have 40ish screenshots of this behavior.
    I can zip up the images and send them to you if you like.

Thanks,

David.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to myrikhan's comment.

Hi David,

Some of the Kepler planet candidates will be in the noise so will some of the simulations. We don't know what the project can find, so we have simulations with a wide range of depths to understand what the project as a collective can and can't detect in terms of planet properties. Though it shouldn't be consistently, if you want to send me the images please email them to mschwamb@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw. If you have the APH ids please send those as well that gives the development team something to specifically look at and test.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Just wanted to stop by here and say thanks to everyone for being so responsive and helpful throughout this!

Thank you for helping us help you help us all. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg in response to mschwamb's comment.

Usually what happens is that I will mark a pretty obvious transit and when I submit it, there is a message that there is at least one simulated transit in the light curve, but there will be no red dots shown anywhere in the light curve. I'll make note of the APH ids in the future and send the along to you. I have been using Firefox browser. WIll try Chrome also to see if there is any difference.

Posted

Thanks. I've updated the support ticket. I think this will be a bit tricky to track down, but the support ticket is in and eventually the development team will get to this. APH ids will be very helpful so we can see if it's that the info telling the interface where to plot the red points is incorrect or if is something up with the code that plots the red.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

Here's the latest example of a light curve that claims to contain at least one simulated transit yet doesn't show any in red. Was using Firefox in all cases..

APH00004gq

and another: APH000023o
    and another: APH0000363
    and another: APH0000224
    and another: APH00001s0

Posted

Thanks that's helpful. I've updated the support ticket. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

Image APH00001mh

As per ggccg's bug report, there is no simulated transit in the above, I'm using Chrome

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

Where is the restart/undo last action button?

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

There seems to be a bug that prevents adjusting the width of marking boxes when they are close to other marking boxes. Using Firefox.

See close binary APH00004sf

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd

Please can we be shown only one star at a time, the shadowy star in the background is very nice, but it becomes wearing on the eyes after a few hundred classifications. simple black background behind the data points please. three clicks of a mouse for a developer I expect.

Please don't think I'm all negative about the new interface, I rather like it.

Posted

• JKD by JKD

Under โ€žCurrently Onlineโ€œ I always see on my ID and at maximum 3-4 other participants. When checkin โ€žRecentsโ€œ there are obviously MANY other PH currently active and posting comments within the last minutes without being listed in โ€žCurrently Onlineโ€œ
    Would appreciate to know who is actually on-line in order to have a chance to know, whether there is an opportunitiy to get a short-time response

Posted

• ggccg by ggccg

Similar problem to Simulated Transits not showing in Red...

Known Kepler Planets not appearing in Red.
    see APH00003bl

Posted

quick note to say I noticed that the Talk light curve viewer got reverted to an older version and that it no longer has the zoom and scroll. I've contacted Zooniverse support to see if they can fix this ASAP.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate

Seems to have coincided with the change to the link color: it used to be a very pale cyan which, on a pale grey background, was hard for many to see/read (that, apparently, was by far the most common feedback/suggestion on v2 Talk); it's now been changed to a somewhat darker hue.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to JeanTate's comment.

Yes, it was related to that. The change was rolled back so the light curve viewer should be showing again. The two versions will be merged early this week,.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure what you exactly mean by a restart/reset button. You can remove a drawn transit box by hitting the x on top of each transit box to remove it. Since we're only asking one task now in the new interface we didn't think we needed it, since you can remove a transit box drawn by mistake.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like the new interface.

The graphic design of the interface including letting the star background through likely won't change much. It's a design choice made by the Zooniverse development team. I felt similarly when the site was being built, and based on my feedback the background transparency was darkened a few more shades before launch.

Most people's eyes are okay with it from the beta test feedback, but your eyes might be like mine and be a bit more sensitive. The shading at the current level is okay for me and I can do a bunch of classifications without noticing it, but I'll make a note of it. If enough people think it should be darker, the development team may darken the transparency a shade.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to JKD's comment.

Hi JKD,

What you noted is because of the new classification interface integration with Talk. The Currently Online tells you who actually has a PH Talk open in a web browser. The Recents includes the 140 character comments which you can now make from the summary page in the classification interface. You can also go directly to the subject page as well from there too. So that's why it may looks like where people are on. More people are commenting, but they're not necessarily at that moment checking Talk. We're the first project to get this type of Talk integration.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg, the problem is back. I respond to zoo3hans' comment.

Posted

Thanks for the all replies about the simulations it looks like the issue is that if you're zoomed in when you submit the classification than the red doesn't show. I've updated the support ticket, and the Zooniverse development will fix the bug when there is time.

~Meg

Posted

I can't replicate the issue. Is anyone else having the same issue again?

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

You are welcome. It was momentarily fixed but now the problem is back. I have to update the 'classify page' at least every fifth LC.

Posted

Hi,

A quick note to say I noticed that the Talk light curve viewer got reverted to an older version and that it no longer has the zoom and scroll. Apologies for the inconvenience. I've contacted Zooniverse support to see if they can fix this ASAP.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JKD by JKD

I would appreciate to have a miniature LC picture of the relevant Qx.y Light Curve for a first view without having to click through the work-flow. An approach like in the โ€žold PHโ€œ is welcome

Posted

• JKD by JKD

what is the reason for a simulations like 2.5 RE and 3.2 Sol into a LC of e.g. 0.45 Sol?

Posted

Thanks for the feedback. There a few build things left to do, but in terms of development time we're in maintenance mode. So big changes to the main classification interface won't be happening right now, but we might have some more developer time to look at these suggestions in the future. The best place to put those ideas would be in the Feedback thread so they're all in one place. I think the suggestions will get buried in this thread.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

the stellar properties are incorrect. the planet radii is correct but the stellar radii are all M dwarfs but the stellar properties were revised to better values than what was in the fits headers that were used to extract the values for the simulations. There's a support ticket in for the development team to update the stellar parameters for the sims to the correct values. I"m sorry it hasn't been done yet. I hope the development team will get to it soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

I notice that the RA position of the "traget cross" is offset in the UKIRT image. Can this be corrected?

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

• JKD by JKD in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg,
    thanks for looking after this.
    Looks like you are very busy in these days.
    Iโ€™m convinced you will make it a successful story.
    Thanks and best regards
    JKD

Posted

Hi Hans,

I'm sorry about that. I've noticed since launch and it has a support ticket in. We had a unit issue with the UKIRT link as well so when then got fixed we figured out that's it because of the precision of the RA value stored in the database we're not getting the star on center. The precision in the database is not high enough for the positioning. The Dec is okay. I updated the support ticket, but the development team has to reload and update all the RA values of the target stars.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. There's much I can do other than update the support ticket again. I will do that now. When the Zooniverse development team has some maintenance time to devote to fixing the more minor post launch PH bugs they will get to this. In the meantime, you can just edit the url that the UKIRT link goes to and put in the correct RA which you can get off of either the MAST or stellar properties link. I know that's the long way to do it, but at least temporarily should work.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks for your understanding. I'm always busy ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, but in this case we're waiting on the Zooniverse development team. They're the amazing (and I really mean it) people who put this all together and built the classification interface and Talk and fix all the glitches and bugs and put the data onto the site. I've got a support ticket in, and when the Zooniverse development team has some maintenance time to devote to fixing the more minor post launch PH bugs they will get to this. I hope that will be soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Hi Meg

thank you. I may try the "long way" then.

Cheers, Hans Martin

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan

This only highlights a few of the transits.
    http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00004vn?quarter=2-2

Edit:
    No highlight in this simulation. http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH00001x7?quarter=7-1

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH000013b?quarter=15-1

Posted

Thanks for reporting

The simulations are if you're zoomed in than they don't show in red.

The known planet candidates, it looks like they only marked one plane for multiplanets.

I've got a ticket for that in already as well. There's not much else I can do, other than add a note to the support ticket that's already in. I'm sorry these things aren't being fixed right now. I'm sorry for any frustration. I'll update the support tickets, and I hope that the Zooniverse development team gets to these issues soon.

Cheers.

~Meg

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

In the new Search for Kepler ID 9711202, results find Object with comment "last updated a month ago" but at least five posts since then.

Object APH00005s8
    Last updated a month ago

And then had to refresh browser page to see it again (in IE-11).

p.s. I like the actual datetime mouseover display added here; a number of nice upgrades in the PH2 release so far.

Posted

• kkwitter by kkwitter

Can someone please help? Two years ago I used this website to cull a list of several Kepler candidates for a class I'm teaching, assigned one to each student, to calculate planetary properties. Now I can't find anywhere that lists Kepler candidates or a place to choose to examine a particular star. If I can't find this capability, then I won't be able to have my students do this valuable exercise. Thanks!

Posted

• dustynebula3 by dustynebula3

Hello, I returned to planet hunters after about 8 months (since march of this year) and I really miss being able to see all the quarters for one object and to download the star's data so that I could try and graph it at home. Do any of you know if these features are still available? Also, I don't seem to have my favorite stars anymore. Ok, please let me know because I thought it was pretty cool to be able to look at the graph of the star's for different periods, in part because if you thought or were sure of a transit you could try to spot it at some other time. Ok, bye.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to kkwitter's comment.

In the new site we don't currently allow the data download option and have changed how we list stars. The old Planet Hunters site is still functioning and available right now so you can go to http://old.planethunters.org/ and it will bring up the original Planet Hunters site so you can do your class lesson.

You can no examine a full star on the Talk discussion pages. You can find out more here..

If you need ids for stars you can email me at mschwamb@asiaa.sinica.edu.tw and I'll get you a list of the ids for those stars you want for the new Planet Hunters web platform.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to dustynebula3's comment.

Hi,

The Planet Hunters website was completely rebuilt from the ground up, so we can't carry over favorites and such because we don't have those stars in and we also know treat the star as the subject in talk. We think the downside of not being able to migrate that information was worth it. The old Planet Hunters is still up and you access old Talk from the link on the top bar, so you can still access that information. You can find more about the site rebuild here.

The same thing for the favorites, the system is different now and we now treat the whole star with the same id (before we were each individual 30-day light curve chunk had a Zooniverse Planet Hunters id). You can still access your old favorites on the old Planet Hunters site, and the Favorites capability exists for this version of the site so you can make new favorites off of what you see in the new interface.

In terms of data download data we don't have that feature in the new version of the site. Thanks for the feedback. I've made the suggestion to the development team, but it may be a long time before they get to adding this feature if they agree to add it.

You can access all the data for the star, that's now available through Talk directly. You can find more details here.

I hope this answers your questions. If it doesn't or you have any more., please do reply

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• kkwitter by kkwitter in response to mschwamb's comment.

Thanks so much for this - I didn't know the old "classic" site was still up. This will work fine. (I hope it stays up for a while!)
    Thanks again-

Karen

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to kkwitter's comment.

kkwitter:

Just to add to Meg's reply, you can also find just about anything about the Kepler data here:
    http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/index.html

See help text if any questions. And lots more info can be found with internet searches also of course. Best of luck.

Posted

• paradise2012 by paradise2012

I tried to access the old planet hunters, but it comes up with the message that the website is unavailable. Also have we lost information like " viewing all the stars you have seen around which we have discovered potential eclipsing binaries!" and
    "viewing all the stars you have seen around which we have potentially discovered planets?"
    paradise2012

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to paradise2012's comment.

It works for me. Does http://old.planethunters.org/candidates# not work for you? in terms of the data we're currently not showing those stars that are in the candidate pages here on new Planet Hunters. Right now we're focusing on M dwarfs only., but it should still be accessible on the old site.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JKD by JKD

KID 7603200 is an example for misleading information
    almost not visible signals with p=10.3d are marked (maybe as SIM, but Iโ€™m not sure) and other obvious signals related to confirmed planets (KOI 314 = 3 planets with p= 13.781d and p=23.089d) are not marked nor at least mentioned on the โ€žComment Pageโ€œ

Posted

• SAL2011 by SAL2011

I don't know if this was addressed or not in the earlier postings (no search feature) but I wanted to know if the developers could put a listing of hashtags on the side after a classification is made. I'm not going to easily remember the rrlyrae hashtag as easily as pulsating hashtag.

Posted

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm sorry. There's a problem with the known planet transit marking is only done one planet and not all of them if it is a multiplanet system. The bug report is in to the development team. There's not much more I can do to inform them about the issue. The development team is very busy, but they will find time hopefully soon to fix these issue with the new Planet Hunters. I'm sorry for the frustration while we sort these bugs out.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to SAL2011's comment.

It's a good idea. I definitely make the suggestion, but I'm not sure that will get implemented any time soon. In the short term I can make a blog post that you could list all the hashtags with the examples that we could use as a reference.

Also do feel free to use your own hashtags too. The science team made a small list of suggested hashtags but I could see many more that could be used to describe light curves.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• paul_goggins by paul_goggins

I have been away from Planethunters for a while. On a tab above hunting pages one could find ones own found candidates. How does one find these now?
    Also, what is the link that lists all of the candidates and their current statuses?

Thanks
    paul

Posted

• hotbit by hotbit

I'm back after a few months and confused... I'm asked only for a transit, no more star type classification, OK. I click 'No transit' and go to the next page, featuring different light curve within left hand side pinkish / reddish block than previous / still in background curve. Is it a tutorial page / section? If I write hashtag will it apply to the previous curve or this new in small image on the left hand side?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to paul goggins's comment.

Hi,

Welcome back to Planet Hunters.

The site was completely rebuilt from the ground up, so we can't carry over favorites and such because we don't have those stars in and we also know treat the star as the subject in talk. We think the downside of not being able to migrate that information was worth it. The old Planet Hunters is still up and you access old Talk from the link on the top bar, so you can still access that information.

Thanks for the feedback about the My Candidates, that may be something we can in add in the coming weeks to this version of the site.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to hotbit's comment.

Hi,

Welcome back. We revamped a little more than a month ago with a new classification interface. I think these few blog posts will answer your question

http://blog.planethunters.org/2014/09/18/a-brand-new-planet-hunters/

http://blog.planethunters.org/2014/09/19/an-introduction-to-the-new-planet-hunters-talk/

http://blog.planethunters.org/2014/11/04/suggested-talk-hashtags/

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to SAL2011's comment.

I've written a blog post with the suggested tags listed. You can find it here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Am I the only one who still has problems with reloading the classify page?

Posted

What do you mean? Can you be more specific?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• mlfiedler by mlfiedler

Though not the OP, I find it puzzling that after advancing from the screen displaying a light curve, to a screen carrying other Planet Hunters' comments -- many of which are specific to the curve values at a specific date -- there seems to be no way to revisit the curve, and visually examine the feature that was commented on.

Is there a [BACK] button I am overlooking? (Browser's BACK arrow takes me back to a log-in screen!)

Thanks for any advice.

-- Mike

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

Still the same problem.

Posted

I'm having a hard time finding zoo3han's exact comment that says what the issue is. Can you please restate it for me here, so I can point the development team here?

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Problems with the "back" button are endemic across Talk, and, the developers tell me, are largely an symptom of the platform upon which it was built. It's one of the biggest things to make sure works properly in the next version of Talk!

As for the problem with the next star loading... Not sure. @mschwamb, has that been put through as a bug report?

Posted

Hi Meg, DZM mentioned the problem here:

"As for the problem with the next star loading... Not sure. @mschwamb, has that been put through as a bug report?"

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I found the comment on page 12 of this thread:

Another problem: lately the new classify page is not reloading properly: I just click "Next subject", but the page then remains the same and displays the button "No transits", which cannot be clicked. Reloading the page usually get's you with a fresh general classify page where you have to login again, it's really annoying.

Followed with:

I use normaly firefox (version 32.0.3), but the problem of not loading properly the next star in the classify page happens also with Google chrome (Version 37.0.2062.120) and also on different computers (Windows XP, Ubuntu (version Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS),, SLES 11 SP3). Just to let you know (and especially the developers team).

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to DZM's comment.

Thank you.

Posted

Hi Martti and Darren,

I can't replicate it at the moment. Is anyone else having the same issue? Is it happening every five light curves. I can put in a bug request, but if it's not easily to replicate, it may take time for the development team to track down.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Yes, at least every five LC.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I can't replicate the issue on my machine, either. It works fine in both Firefox and Safari for me. Bugs that we can't replicate are really tricky to nail down, though the more detailed reports we have of when it is occurring, the better!

Posted

What about Explorer and Chrome?

Posted

Hi Martti,

Thanks for the additional detail. Okay, so it does sound like it could be the ext same issue as last time. I've put in a bug report. Hopefully the development team will get to it soon, but it might take some time to get to, especially if it's not easily replicated at the moment.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to mlfiedler's comment.

Well the way people are commenting you should be able to see the light curve section and quarter and click on it from the Talk page. I might not be understanding your question correctly, but this blog post I think will answer your question. If doesn't, please do repost and someone will try and answer it.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

That sounds great!

Posted

The link for "View on old talk" links to the wrong star. For example APH00006ao links to APHE300028o.

Posted

Thanks for posting. It's a unfortunately a known bug that has been reported to the development team. I'm sorry it hasn't been fixed yet. The development team should hopefully get to it soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JenniferConnors by JenniferConnors

Hello,

The new user interface for general classifying is really nice, i think it's a great improvement. I haven't experienced any bugs or working problems on the new website, it seems to run well on chrome.

Posted

• JenniferConnors by JenniferConnors

I do somewhat miss the design from old planet hunters talk under account where you can see a nice overview of discussions, talk, and collections. It was quite well designed.
    Quickly looking over the 20 pages of "help and bugs during relaunch" it looks like everyone is working very hard to for our new interface.
    I like how BJD was added to the top of the light curve graphs and we have all quarters available.

I may be restating some things here, this is what I noticed can use some corrections:
    In that the links to old talk either don't exist or can be linked to different stars.
    The Ukirt images are not being cut correctly.

Also interesting it seems we are looking at a specific set of smaller type background type stars from the same areas in Lyra Star Constellation?
    I hope everything gets running in unison soon,
    Thanks
    JC

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Hi Jennifer,

yes the UKIRT images do not show the correct RA, but the DECL is correct. Meg has written somewhere how this arises. And yes, only M_dwarf are shown nowadays. So until K2 data arrives we will not see any Cepheids for example (or other giant stars).

Cheers, Hans Martin

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to JenniferConnors@Rocketmail.com's comment.

Hi Jennifer,

I wanted to echo what Hans said and provide a bit more context. .

Thanks for your post. Yes we're showing a subset of the Kepler field stars at the moment: The M dwarfs. You can read more about the reason why in this blog post.

The UKIRT links and the Talk links are open bug reports into to the development team. I can't do much more on my end, but I can remind them about these open issues and when the Zooniverse development team has some spare time, they will get to fixing these.

For UKIRT, it's the RA that doesn't have enough precision in the database, so it's moving the UKIRT center off where it should be. The workaround is to go to the Stellar properties link and copy the RA (right ascension) and then when you to the UKIRT link, replace the RA in the url with the one from the stellar properties.

I hope this helps, and I hope that the final remaining glitches especially in Talk get resolved soon.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• sirdgar by sirdgar

i dont see any transits....it seems like the pictures are zoomed too much in. known transits doesent make sense to me at all......a few dots in the middle of it all....am i missing something.

Posted

• Doctor50 by Doctor50

Using iPad mini2 and some definite issues with the menu and the tutorial on mobile, also the button where I assume "Next Subject" should come up after a transition is marked is stubbornly remaining on "No Transitsโ€. Otherwise great and happy planet searching ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to sirdgar's comment.

Hi,

Welcome to Planet Hunters. Have you looked at some of the examples in the Spotter's guide Hit the help button on the classification interface)? It has some examples of planet transits and false positives.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Since today I cannot post any comments anymore in the Classify page (if I click on Submit, nothing happens). Clicking "Discuss on Talk" and entering the comment there does work on the other hand.

Although it's great being served K2 data!

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

It seems that the radius is not displayed anymore in the Classify page, if it's a simulation for example.

Posted

It would also be great if the IDs would be displayed so we do not duplicate each other. See the new K2 C0 post: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/boards/BPH0000008/discussions/DPH00005sc

Posted

Simulations are still showing? Can you post a screen shot? I don't know if there are K2 simulations, the last time I heard a few months ago the PI had decided not to include simulations into the first batch of K2 data, but they may have changed.

The K2 stars don't have radii estimates like the Kepler field stars do so that's why that field isn't included for those stars.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

Thanks. I've reported it to the development team. They are hopefully fixing it ASAP.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

Hi Martti,

I'm sorry about that. We should be able to show the EPIC catalog id on the Talk pages like we showed the Kepler input catalog id for the Kepler field stars.I just got word from the development team that they're looking into it tonight.

Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

Hi Meg,

No problem, I can see that it has been corrected by the development team, thank you!

Posted

The simulations amongst the K2 data are from earlier dates than the new data and so can be easily spotted by those that are paying attention to the timescale. I am guessing this isn't what you want.

Posted

Yeah, I can see that's an issue, but the decision was made by the rest of the science team to leave in the simulations from the Kepler field data. So most volunteers who come and do a few classifications will not notice the difference ,but you're right more seasoned people like yourself will be able to spot the simulations. Please do try and classify the simulations as you would other light curves rather than skipping them, it would be a big help.

Thanks,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hopefully it doesn't take that long to classify a simulation... ! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks for pointing that out, @davidbundy77

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Something seems to be wrong with the site right now... it doesn't appear to be serving data.

We're looking into it!

Posted

• Bookofchange by Bookofchange

Quick typo fixes (and HTML suggestions at the end)

1. Place: http://www.planethunters.org/?utm_source=Zooniverse Home&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Homepage Catalogue#/science (Transits)

Issue: "At Planet Hunters, we need your help in the hunt for extrasolar planets (exoplanets) by highlight potential transits in a star's light curve, the time series measurements of the star's brightness, in the web interface."

Fix: "At Planet Hunters, we need your help in the hunt for extrasolar planets (exoplanets) by highlightIng potential transits in a star's light curve, the time series measurements of the star's brightness, in the web interface."

1. Place: http://www.planethunters.org/?utm_source=Zooniverse Home&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Homepage Catalogue#/science (Transits)

Issue: "For those planets that due transit, a transit will occur once every orbit."

Fix: "For those planets that do transit, a transit will occur once every orbit."

Issue: "So more checks first need to be done before we can confidently say the event is likely due a transiting planet."

Fix: "So more checks first need to be done before we can confidently say the event is likely due to a transiting planet."

Issue: "If background stars are bright enough they can dilute the transit signal making us think the body is smaller such than an eclipsing binary, where two stars transit in front and behind each other, can have measured depths that look like planet transits."

Fix: Confusing sentence structure and possible "such" typo.

Issue: "If a statistical analysis can rule out possible astrophysical false positives for the transit-like signal or a mass is measured, than the planet candidate gets promoted to confirmed planet."

Fix: "If a statistical analysis can rule out possible astrophysical false positives for the transit-like signal or a mass is measured, then the planet candidate gets promoted to [a?] confirmed planet."

Would also love to see captions on the diagrams for the Transits pages (and everywhere else), would improve accessibility to the visually impaired and those with LDs. Even if their participation with the application is limited, some may wish to read the background science for the project. They will know that an image is there, but may not be able to deduce what it's of.

More quick typo fixes

1. Place: http://www.planethunters.org/?utm_source=Zooniverse Home&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Homepage Catalogue#/science (Light Curves)

Issue: "Kepler has spent four years staring at a single patch of sky, simultaneously monitoring a collection of stars for the tell tale signatures of transiting exoplanets."

Fix: "Kepler has spent four years staring at a single patch of sky, simultaneously monitoring a collection of stars for the telltale signatures of transiting exoplanets."

1. Place: http://www.planethunters.org/?utm_source=Zooniverse Home&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Homepage Catalogue#/science (Light Curves)

Issue: "We have still have much of the four years of Kepler field data to search through."

Fix: "We still have much of the four years of Kepler field data to search through." (omit the extra have)

Issue: "We think there is still much to be learned from the original Kepler data and likely to be unknown planets lurking in the light curves missed by the computers waiting to discovered."

Fix: "We think there is still much to be learned from the original Kepler data and likely to be unknown planets lurking in the light curves missed by the computers waiting to be discovered."

Issue: Formatting "These stars are different from the sources that Kepler had been monitoring in the past in the Kepler field. K2 observations will be made available to the entire astronomical community and the public shortly after being transmitted to Earth and processed.Your eyes will be one of the first to gaze upon these observations."

Fix: Add a space between the sentences.

External Link suggestion... throughout the Science pages, there are some external links sprinkled here and there. It would be helpful to format them so they open a NEW TAB instead of directing readers away from the website. Example Keplar 2 link on the Light Curves page and all the links on the FAQ page. Why open a NEW TAB? When the person tries to navigate back to the Planet Hunter's page through browser back buttons (say they were in FAQ) it will instead return them to Mission and not to their last visited page. They may become lost or frustrated.

Posted

• mcdougall by mcdougall

I have been away for some time, has all the old work been removed from my history when the changes were made?

McDougall

Posted

• ma.linder by ma.linder

The new site of planet hunters looks very well. But I wish me to have the facility of zooming also the y-axis. If the star is variable, it would help to spread up the y-axis.

Posted

• cescaferguson by cescaferguson

Hi,

I logged into the old site so I could see my candidates as they haven't been carried over. Will we be notified still if they turn out to be verified?

Thanks

Posted

• constovich by constovich moderator in response to cescaferguson's comment.

cescaferguson, if you classified a light curve that leads to a paper published by Planet Hunters, you will be notified.

Posted

• 7ammo by 7ammo in response to mschwamb's comment.

Oh no all the hours spent classifying 22500 light curves and saving the ones that I felt were most likely to have transits all gone! what a massive disappointment ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Is there no record of them at all that I can see?

Does not inspire one to keep going ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Posted

• LAIS_IONUT_ANTONEL by LAIS_IONUT_ANTONEL

I wonder why there is no info about the user who clasified the stars and show how many planets are didcovered by the searcher and also i would like to know when the k2 data will be available not an exact date an estimation thank u,

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to trancemaster's comment.

Hi trancemaster,

The K2 data is available now it was released about a month ago.

Regarding your other question I think the PH science team is working on something like that. The following section can be found in the PH blog "Just out! New data from the Kepler mission":

"We are also trying to improve our turn-around time for PH results. Instead of waiting until we obtain telescope time to carry out follow-up data and publish a paper (sometimes a year later!) we will put the high probability transit candidates that you identify on the โ€œPlanet Hunters Object of Interestโ€ (or PHOI โ€“ which I think is pronounced something like โ€œfooeyโ€)."

( http://blog.planethunters.org/2014/12/09/just-out-new-data-from-the-kepler-mission/ )

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to 7ammo's comment.

Hi 7ammo & mcdougall,

No worries, you can still access all your findings here:

http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/ .

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to ma.linder's comment.

Hi ma.linder,

The feature you describe has already been discussed several times during the last couple of months. Apparently, changes will not be made in this version of PH, but a future alteration is not excluded.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Since yesterday the problem has returned that you get often a grey "No Transits" button in the Classify page which is not working when you click on it. You then have to manually reload the page.

Yours, Hans Martin

Posted

• tsboyajian by tsboyajian scientist in response to zoo3hans's comment.

we will look into it, thanks!

Posted

• scienceweb by scienceweb

I seem to have lost all my results (over 5000 curves classified, including three candidate planets). Can you tell me what I should do to retrieve them?

Posted

I have had the same problem since it occurred for the first time, and it is really annoying!

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to scienceweb's comment.

@Scienceweb

You can still access all your findings here:

http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/ .

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Martti Holst Kristiansen's comment.

Yes, this should work for you. Let us know if you have any issues accessing your results from the old Planet Hunters!

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

Any chance Search could be expanded to list all occurrences where the text appears in a thread? (page 2, 5, 8, 10 would really help).

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to ajamyajax's comment.

Full-text search will be implemented in the next-gen Talk that we hope to have out later this year!

Posted

• cbwim by cbwim

I can do about 4 or 5 stars and then the PlanetHunters site seems to hang on an endless loop. Just reporting this bug....

Posted

• Hildifons by Hildifons in response to cbwim's comment.

Same here.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Same here. (it happens with all distributions I have tried: linux, windows, iOS, etc. and all browsers: firefox, ie, chrome, etc.)

Posted

• constovich by constovich moderator

Problem has been reported - i am sure a resolution will be found shortly.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I just checked, and the Planet Hunters developer is aware of the problem.

He's outrageously busy with a deadline, but says he can try to take a look tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

the site is not working

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Something else: lately I get the same star (and quarter) served twice, for example:

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APHC0101329

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APHC0117682?quarter=1-3

http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APHC0116043

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to trancemaster's comment.

I'm going to bug the dev tomorrow and see what I can get...

Posted

STILL NOT LOADING THE DATA IS GAPPED IS NOT LOADING JUST 2 OR 3 TIMES THEN NOTHING

Posted

• LAIS_IONUT_ANTONEL by LAIS_IONUT_ANTONEL in response to DZM's comment.

still not loading 2 or 3 times and then its not loading at all ....

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Yes, it's really ANNOYING!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I checked in with the developers, and was told that "it looks like the interface is breaking when trying to load data that is either inaccessible or doesnโ€™t exist."

Two devs are supposed to be looking at it and fixing it, but I didn't get a response when I checked in with them on Friday. I've already started bugging them again today.

Thanks for staying on me!!

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Thank you DZM for looking into this. It really spoils the PH experience to a large degree.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It should be fixed now. Is it?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Dear DZM

unfortunately it's still making troubles. I does NOT load the next subject after 3-5 light curves. It then need at least 10 seconds (or even more) to actually reload the page with new data.

Tested with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS, Firefox 37.0.1 or Firefox Nightly 40.0a1 (2015-04-09) or Google Chrome 41.0.2272.118-1 or rekonq-2.4.2. Using the latter I'm informed that it loaded OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1), so maybe it has to do with Java.

Posted

• x303 by x303

No problem over here anymore. Tested with palemoon & firefox nightly.

Posted

• raptor71 by raptor71

Is there a fix for the lack vertical zoom? Or a vertical adjustment of any kind? Seems like others have asked but I haven't read an answer. I am interested in doing these classifications, but this user interface is not what I'd call helpful.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to x303's comment.

Dear x303

what operating system do you use? What java version and/or icedtea version do you have?

Posted

• x303 by x303 in response to zoo3hans's comment.

windows7, java 8. Tried the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Palemoon x64 and Firefox nightly. All work, except opera 12.17. With that browser it loads forever.
    Also tried it with firefox under mint 17.1 x64 and ubuntu 15.04 x64. Also no problems....

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Thanks x303

I therefore tried Windows7, latest IE, latest Java -> still the same annoying problem of NOT loading the next subject every 3-5 trial. Also tried iOS (iPad) with Safari, Windows XP with IE or Firefox, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on different hardware with Firefox, SuSE SLES11sp3 with Firefox -> with ALL of them I encountered the same ugly BUG.

Posted

• x303 by x303 in response to zoo3hans's comment.

Also tried ubuntu 14.04 x64 (i'm using it now), but still no problem for me.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

@x303

hard to believe - I envy you ... (by the way, where do you live?)

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to zoo3hans's comment.

Well as a frequent contributor here, is it possible your user id reached some kind of limit that x303 has not reached yet? You could test this theory easily enough by creating a new id. Just an idea of course.

Posted

• x303 by x303

What limit ? I'm 'here' since galaxyzoo 1 started.....

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to zoo3hans's comment.

It's possible that you've classified every available subject on your account?

If you're the only one having this bug, that's possibly what happened. Also especially if you can create a second account... I agree with @ajamyajax -- do you have the same bug if you try with a different account?

Thanks!!

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to DZM's comment.

Ok, I'll have a try. Although I remember that other users also complained about this bug.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Hm, maybe you're right after all. With a new account (andromeda2015) I get again simulations and no "hanging". Maybe it has to do that I'm logged in from several computers (office, laptop which I use on my commuter train, at home). Or there is a database problem with too many entries in my case. Sigh.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to zoo3hans's comment.

The other bug that we had before, with stuff not loading after a few classifications, was fixed. I think this one is just you being a devoted classifier who has seen all the currently active data. In other words: you rock! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Thanks DZM. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I was hoping that I could contribute to classify all the K2-C1 data. I look forward to see more K1 data or the new K2-C2 data. Good luck to everybody!

Posted

• Tanzmetall by Tanzmetall

On iPad, you can mark transits, but if you do, the button still says "no transits". Can we get this fixed for this platform?

Posted

• vladthegreen by vladthegreen

Where can I find a full list of the hashtags cases? It would be nice to have a list of all the examples for "use the tag..." I cannot remember all the good examples posted there, it would be great to be able to review them all in 1 page.

Posted

• vladthegreen by vladthegreen

Other thing: some classifications contain simulated transits, which are displayed just after you press "no transits" or "finished". That is interesting, but you cannot zoom in after the "we included a simulated transit here" message. It would be super helpful if we could zoom in into the observations, to learn from the simulations. Example: https://talk.planethunters.org/?_ga=2.180390823.1245166298.1504400030-1434517861.1504399393#/subjects/APH0001909

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase in response to Tanzmetall's comment.

Same.`

Posted

• bhajek by bhajek

I am at the star information page and I highlight a potential transit, but no transit button doesn't change. I, then, click on the button to go post a comment. Are my observations being recorded? I just noticed this happening today.

Posted

• Casper584 by Casper584

Same

Posted

• Casper584 by Casper584 in response to Tanzmetall's comment.

Did it ever get fixed?

Posted

• jupitergreen by jupitergreen

There seems to be a bug that only allows one frame to be examined. When I sign in I can examine the first frame and move to the comment section. when I enter the #tag and try to move to the next frame, the program returns me to the first frame and locks up. The only way out of the lock up is to sign off.

Posted

• RossGiblin by RossGiblin

Unable to access classifications since Friday, won't move past loading screen

Posted

• hawaiisunfun by hawaiisunfun

I'm having issues where my Zooniverse home page does not show the accurate number of classifications I worked on in Planet Hunters. However, the counter works for other projects that I'm a part of.

Posted