Planet Hunters Talk

Questions about New Planet Hunters Talk

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

If you've got questions about about the Planet Hunters 2.0 Talk, here's the place to ask and we'll try our best to answer your questions here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Hiya,

We've got a blog post out with some tips and tricks about the differences between New Talk and Old Talk.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• aletel by aletel

Is it possible to search for a particular APHxxxxxxxxx light curve ?

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to aletel's comment.

Yes, you can do it here: http://talk.planethunters.org/#/search

Posted

• aletel by aletel

Thanks, i should have found it by myself .....

Another question though, what is the upper ruler in the light curves, bottom is time in days. Upper ruler must be time also but witch units ?

Posted

• Martti_Holst_Kristiansen by Martti_Holst_Kristiansen in response to aletel's comment.

It is also in days. The upper time scale shows the exact location in the entire light curve and the bottom scale is for the representative quarter (Q1-17).

Posted

• aletel by aletel

I wonder what is done with participants evaluation of possible transits in stars light curves. Is there any further investigation ?

Where participant's observations of light curves leads to ?

Sorry for my poor english... it is not my mother language 😉

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to aletel's comment.

We try to follow them up and if it is a new discovery we do try and write a science paper if we can, giving credit to the discoverers in one way or another in the paper or as authors on the paper.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to aletel's comment.

to add to what Martti said, there is another way - you can go directly to the star's/light curve's talk page - http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APHblahblahblah will work where you input the correct id for the blahblahblah part. I hope that helps

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Fezman92 by Fezman92

Can I post about old subjects from the old talk? I'm still curious about some things I posted about.

Posted

• Jiangdongying by Jiangdongying

there is some single dots slightly below a light curve. May I know what is those dots mean?

Posted

• JRSchmitt by JRSchmitt

These are called "outliers". These are data points that, for whatever reason, are significantly far away from the rest of the data. In our kind of work, it probably means some brief sort of glitch in the data. That is, these outliers are very unlikely to represent the brightness of the star, but are instead caused by software glitches or other phenomena like cosmic rays.

Posted

• sarvajitk by sarvajitk

Hi Meg,

Am a new planet hunter. After hitting finish, the screen doesnt seem to reload or refresh except for the disappearance of the highlight? Meaning i keep getting the same set of data for the same star again and again.Help pls?
    Thanks

Posted

• StuartB by StuartB

"After hitting finish, the screen doesnt seem to reload or refresh except for the disappearance of the highlight? Meaning i keep getting the same set of data for the same star again and again.Help pls? Thanks"

Same problem here too. Same data after finishing tutorial, what's happening?

Posted

• Planet_of_the_hope by Planet_of_the_hope

Is there a way we know when Planter hunter will release new data??? I'd like to have a chance to look at recent data... thanks !
    Antoine

Posted

• Planet_of_the_hope by Planet_of_the_hope

Not sure where this questoin should go, but here it is
    Is there a way to know when the Planet_hunter organization is going to release new data, can they let us know the dates??

thanks

Antoine

Posted

• gerard by gerard

Regarding interphase with users:

In addition of simply marking a transit in the chart, if you desire the user to actually type a hashtag (#pulsating, #variable, #CV, #eclipsingbinary, #Cepheid, #flare, etc) I highly recommend what you did in GalaxyZoo, where you had several set buttons to classify the shape of the galaxies without having to type it at every single screen. I know I can give you all that additional information more efficiently if I did not have to type so much.

My second request is to PLEASE remove the old known light-curves with glitches and/or shown to have no planets. I find myself looking at the same images over and over (I can read my own comments and tags from a month before) and I question the efficiency of having so many already identified useless (or already processed) images taking so much space and human time when we could be processing new light-curves.

Nice project, and I have quality time with my children working on this. It is a catalyst for conversation in science and civilization.

Posted

• paradise2012 by paradise2012

The stars in PH site have their own ID numbers with APH or SPH in front of them. How can I get the Kepler ID ( KID) of these stars?

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd in response to paradise2012's comment.

Hi paradise2012

If, once you have classified a light curve, you click on 'Discuss in Talk' the KID is listed under Metadata on the left hand side.

Posted

• paradise2012 by paradise2012

Thank you, I keep a record of the KID now, but didn't do so in the past. Is there any way I can get the KID of light curves I classified earlier, so long as I have their PH IDnumbers?

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Could someone please fix the "Kepler TPS" link?

I get (for http://talk.planethunters.org/#/subjects/APH000107j?quarter=5-3 ):

http://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-bin/nstedAPI/nph-nstedAPI?&table=tce&format=ipac_ascii&select=kepid,tce_plnt_num,tce_full_conv,tce_fwm_stat,tce_period,tce_time0bk,tce_ror,tce_dor,tce_num_transits,tce_duration,tce_incl,tce_depth,tce_model_snr,tce_prad,tce_sma,tce_bin_oedp_stat&where=kepid=undefined

which displays:

ERROR

Error Type: SystemError

Message: Error 904: 42S22 :[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00904: "UNDEFINED": invalid identifier . FAIL

Posted

• Ptd by Ptd in response to paradise2012's comment.

You can, when in talk, if you select 'Search' at the top of the page, type the PH***** number into the box and click on the "objects" button, you should then be able to get back to the LC.

Posted

• vavafoufou by vavafoufou

Hello,
    Sorry if I am not posting in the right section, but I am new and have a question about known planet candidates. You write in the FAQ that "We highlight the known planet candidates in the Kepler field data after you finish your classification, so you know if you are finding a new discovery", but I can't find the information for the stars that I tagged as having a possible transiting planet.
    Thank you for your help,
    Cheers,
    Valentine

Posted

• weegreenblobbie by weegreenblobbie

These talk pages are hard to figure out. I don't know where to start a new thread.

I've downloaded some kepler data to my computer plotted the data with Matplotlib, what I've learned is that using the Pan/Zoom tool to scale the x & y axis with mouse motion allows me to really explore the data.

Coming back to the site after a long absense, it seems to me that all the light curves have been auto scaled, so everything is looking like a gunshot pattern along the y axis. Can we add the scale/zoom on mouse motion like Matplotlib?

That would really make it fun to look at the data!

😃
    Nick

Posted

• AngelaCranston by AngelaCranston

I am still trying to understand the purpose of planethunters can you explain it to me

Posted

• Floriana by Floriana in response to AngelaCranston's comment.

There's a really great TED talk on it if you like ----> http://www.ted.com/talks/tabetha_boyajian_the_most_mysterious_star_in_the_universe#t-475211

Essentially, what planethunters does is use people to find data. The human eye is better at noticing irregularities in data than a computer (this is somewhat contested, but essentially a brain has the ability to adapt to new information, whereas a computer can only see what it is programmed to see). Planethunters takes advantage of this and puts up graphs of stars, allowing anyone to look at them and try to find irregularities in the stars' light, which shows the potential of planetary movement.
    Essentially, scientists are pleading help from the general public because thousands of eyes are better than two.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax

While you are waiting, check this out. Maybe you'll find Planet Nine...

"NASA-funded website lets public search for new nearby worlds"

by Francis Reddy

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-nasa-funded-website-nearby-worlds.html

Posted

• Timelord67 by Timelord67

Cannot get past tutorial, is planet finder still running?

Posted

• tsboyajian by tsboyajian scientist in response to Timelord67's comment.

We are working on uploading new data - stay tuned!
    Tabby

Posted

• johnfairweather by johnfairweather in response to tsboyajian's comment.

With there now being two Planet Hunters projects, it would be useful if both were to acknowledge the other's work.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans in response to johnfairweather's comment.

Well, what is the status of the 3rd project: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/astopy/planet-hunters-round-2/classify ? Should I continue to mark things there or is it also paused?

Posted

• Dolorous_Edd by Dolorous_Edd

Well, PH is (was) working with K1 mission data , EE work with K2 mission data

So they don't ovelap much

Work on K2 data is done here , but it is carried out by volunteers

Posted

• Arcsecs by Arcsecs

Possible bug. I found a pretty clear transit signal (six or seven points dropping vertically from the main plot) in the APH00158u graph. When I went to talk and called up APH00158u., it showed me a different plot, and the transit signal was completely gone. However the record shows that I marked a transit for that star.

I'm confused

Posted

• Arcsecs by Arcsecs

Points at the very bottom of the plot are sometimes invisible or interfere with the axis numbers. Please "de-magnify" or rescale the plots a little so this does not happen.

Frequently, the computer tells me there is a sim event plotted on the graph in red when there is no such thing visible. Other times it works.

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase

I can't find a way to continue without saying ”no transit". Is there supposed to be a ”continue" button?

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase in response to Arcsecs's comment.

Do you see numbers below the light plot? How about on your comment?

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase in response to MagnusChase's comment.

I mean on the star part.

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase in response to MagnusChase's comment.

If so... find the number on your comment and look bellow the plot there should be numbers there, click the ( on the part below the star)number you saw on your comment you should see your plot.

Posted

• klangon88 by klangon88 in response to MagnusChase's comment.

Are you working on an iPad? I had the same problem too.

It works differently on my desktop.

Posted

• jupitergreen by jupitergreen

go to bug reports

Posted