Planet Hunters Talk

Hello, Planet Hunters!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello planet hunters of Planet Hunters!

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost continuing to improve this here Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

If you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I’d love to know! I know that the Planet Hunters Talk just recently went through a change, so hopefully we are meeting some more of your needs, but I think that we can always improve, so please keep me posted.

I’ll also be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you! I should mention that I am not an astronomer or a scientist, so please take anything I might say about objects with a mountain of salt. I’d like to participate as a neophyte citizen scientist as well, though, and I’m hoping to learn from all you smart space folks, too!

If there’s anything that you think the new guy should know right off the bat, please share, and feel free to ask anything about me as well. Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming, and I’m looking forward to working together.

Let’s find some planets!

DZM

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Welcome to the Planet Hunters community Darren.

Best,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you, Meg! 😃

Posted

• KGI by KGI

Hello,

I don't seem to be able to get the hash key on my mac keyboard -- the standard has comes up as a pound and alt 3 sends me to a different webpage. Could you suggest what to do, please?

Also, it would be useful to have a set of template timeseries for each of the classifications that one can view during classification, rather than what you have at present which is random examples coming up after one has pressed continue/when the time series is no longer visible.

Great fun, and good luck with your project.

Best wishes,

Kate

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello Kate! Please help me out a little bit more... you mean the # symbol? (I'm a little confused because that also can be called a "pound" sign, but on my Mac, alt-3 brings up £, which is also a "pound sign." :p) On my Mac, the # symbol is "shift+3;" however, I'm in the States and I know that we have different keyboard layouts. Are you in the UK?

Thanks for the suggestion! That's definitely Planet Hunters-specific, and it's more about classifications than about Talk, but it's a very good idea that I'll be sure to make note of if there's ever another revamp of the Planet Hunters site. Thank you very much! 😃

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

From the Zooniverse blog - more about Darren and his role in the Zooniverse.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks for posting that, Meg! I'm posting it everywhere else on Talk, too.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that anyone might have! 😃

Posted

• dustynebula3 by dustynebula3

Hello, I returned to planet hunters after about 8 months (since march of this year) and I really miss being able to see all the quarters for one object and to download the star's data so that I could try and graph it at home. Do any of you know if these features are still available? Also, I don't seem to have my favorite stars anymore. Ok, thanks.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to dustynebula3's comment.

Hi,

I've responded to this post in the Help thread (you posted it there as well).. You can find my response here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Philthyflirt by Philthyflirt in response to KGI's comment.

Hello this should help you find your hash.. lulz http://machash.com/mac-hash-key/

Posted

• blury_planet_hunter by blury_planet_hunter

i have a teliscope and i saw a green/ yellowish dot i now you might say oh its a dwaf star or a commet but 4 things are surcaling it if my idea is correct i found a planet or a star with a planetry system

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi! It would probably help to know where in the sky you were looking... It's probably hard for anyone here to say what you were looking at without being able to see it. Heck, sometimes it's hard to tell even when you can see it! 😃

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to blury planet hunter's comment.

Hiya,

Most gas disks observed other stars that astronomers think are the birthplaces planets are in the ~100 AU or smaller scale. That's so close to the star, you can't resolve it when looking at stars without the aid of adaptive optics or blocking the star light out (this is how some groups of astronomers are directly detecting planets). With your telescope and the blurring from the atmosphere you wouldn't be able to see that close to the star. My bet is it's another star or a galaxy with a projected distance in the sky that's close (they could be at very different distances in the Universe but 2-D wise look like they're close to each other.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• michalmularczyk by michalmularczyk

Hello everyone,

I just joined Planet Hunters and I'm getting ready to start looking over some of the light curves. Wish me good luck.
    One question I have at this point - what happens to the analyzed data? How can I know that me or anybody else has discovered a potential planet?

Thank you,
    Michal

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to michalmularczyk's comment.

Good luck, @michalmularczyk! Welcome to the project! Thanks for joining us!

As I understand it, successful locations of exoplanets are typically announced by the PH team. I'm certain that if you stay around Talk, you'll know if there are any successful discoveries!

Some of the mods/science team members here might be able to tell you a bit more.

Posted

• juliapot11 by juliapot11

Hello everyone.
    I would like to know more about the planets of the old stars, no special program where volunteers could search for such planets?
    Thank you

Posted

• shunter_1999 by shunter_1999

I know this is a bit off topic but has anyone heard of the band starset

Posted

• shunter_1999 by shunter_1999

they sing about this kind of stuff

Posted

• dwagner0402 by dwagner0402

Hi. My name is David. Average guy. I work on a farm. Potatoes... But science is and always will be my passion. It is just so mind blowing. I cannot believe that I didn't find this sight sooner! Wish I would have. But anyways I am here now, and from the small sampling of the program I used this evening, it seems I am in for a real treat. This is a lot of fun. Thank You.

Posted

• eowiley by eowiley

Hi Meg:

I a new to the project and would like to promote Planet Hunters to our Nature Club. May I have permission to reproduce the G Dwarf-M Dwarf illustration in our monthly news letter?

Thanks, Ed Wiley

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to eowiley's comment.

We haven't seen Meg here in a while unfortunately.. If she doesn't pop back in and respond to your msg, maybe you could check the NASA web sites or elsewhere for public domain images more or less (they may ask that you credit where you got them).

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase

Hola! Hallo! Hello!

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase

Hallo! Hello! Hola!

Posted

• FANGKEREN by FANGKEREN

I am a student of USTC who comes from CHINA. My name is FANG Keren. I am reseraching about the user motivation of citizen science game, while there are few users concern about citizen science, because the Great Firewall of China and edition of citizen science games. I will be appreciate if you can spare your valuable time for the questionnaire, which is designed for scientific research academic only.
    With your help, I hope more and more Chinese citizens would know and join in the citizen science.Thank you very much!
    the questionare : https://www.wenjuan.in/s/VRF3ua/enter link description here

Posted