Planet Hunters Talk

Hello everyone!

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Welcome to the new Planet Hunters. Whether you're a veteran Planet Hunter or brand new to the site, introduce yourself and say hello!

~Meg

Posted

• constovich by constovich moderator

Hello all, I am Joe, one of the moderators. Welcome to the new PlanetHunters talk!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist

Hi,

I thought I'd join in as well. I'm Meg Schwamb from the science team. I'm a planetary scientist and an astronomer. I'm an American expat living in Taipei, Taiwan. I'm an Academia Sinica postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Astronomy & Astrophysics at Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan.

In addition to the work I'm doing with Planet Hunters, I'm also on the science team for the Zooniverse's Planet Four project, studying the climate of Mars.

I hope you're as excited and thrilled with the new site, as I and the rest of the Planet Hunters team are. We can't wait to see what we discover with your help.

See you around on Talk,

~Meg

Posted

• echo-lily-mai by echo-lily-mai moderator

Hi and welcome. I am also a moderator over here, need any help just let me or one of the team know.

Happy hunting πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• mrniaboc by mrniaboc admin, scientist

Hi everyone,

I'm Grant. I'm the community manager at the Zooniverse, but I used to work in exoplanet research and I designed the educational mini-course for the new Planet Hunters.

Hope you all enjoy the new site!

Posted

• Nighthawk_Black by Nighthawk_Black

Hi all,

Looks like it's hunting season again, eh? Hard to believe it's been over three years since things kicked off.

I think I still have an orange vest somewhere.

PLANET HUNTERS: ASSEMBLE!

Posted

• dantoto by dantoto

Hi all, I'm Daniel, just a volunteer, nothing too exciting to report just yet. Always happy to contribute.

Posted

• dfischer123 by dfischer123 scientist

Hello! I'm Debra Fischer, an astronomy professor at Yale. With my postdocs and students we are really excited to help follow up on the discoveries that you make!

The first research project you are working on is a calculation of the fraction of different types of planets around different types of stars. Everytime you click on a "sim" transit, you help us figure out what the correction factors should be - without this, we are just "stamp collecting" rather than doing science.

The second project is a search for transiting planets around the K2 mission stars. Tom Barclay has extracted the light curves and Ji Wang is compiling all of the meta data so that the Adler team can set up the new K2 site for you soon!

Posted

• Kiwiinthesky by Kiwiinthesky

Hi there! Louise here, just for fun- student at the Stockholm University single course in astronomi as I love the subject since I was a child and looked at the first landing on the moon....
    Try to find out how it works here and try to help finding some planets...

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister

Hello to all
    I'm Dean Simister a very proud 'veteran' zoonivers planet hunter of nearly 4 years. A big welcome to any new planet hunter members to our new PH2 citizen science community site. The search for new planets is the only natural first step we have to take in finding the existence of new life communities probably as diverse and complex as the universe in which we are currently searching. Personally, I cant think of a better goal to give your valuable time too and get involved in. Please stay and enjoy and maybe you too can add your name to the discovery of a new planet to your CV !
    :~}

Posted

• JenniferConnors by JenniferConnors

Hello I'm Jennifer,

I study Astronomy and Astrophysics and consider myself a student of everyone who teaches me. In 2011 I started writing about the Kepler Mission on an opportunities website.
    This year I participated in the Diversity of Exoplanets course through the University of Geneva, we studied the early results of K1 and the characteristics of these systems.
    I am lucky to see and learn about our universe.

Now NASA in pursuit of space exploration and research will make history again in K2 πŸ˜ƒ
    The Kepler Mission is truly a groundbreaking project where citizens and scientists work together.
    Welcome to any new planet hunters!

Posted

• memetical by memetical

Hello everyone. My name is "m" - I prefer to remain anonymous. No, I'm not James Bond's boss at Mi6 ! I am a member of Einstein@Home - searching for pulsars. I study some philosophy, love Darwinian evolution and astronomy. I play chess at my university club during the winter. Cheers.

Posted

• megadave2002 by megadave2002

Hello I'm Dave,

I am bored at work a lot. This seems like a much better use of time than following sports or posting on facebook about irrelevant nonsense. We need to find a new planet since we have nearly broken this one.

Posted

• IrvSet by IrvSet

Hey, David here; one of those people who always wanted to take an astrophysics degree and still wishes they could have. That said, I'm an IT Engineer instead and I log onto Planet Hunters (and a few other projects on Zooniverse) every time I have a little break during the day. It's great to be able to actively participate in this endeavour; big thanks to everyone who made it possible!

Posted

• DeathBunny by DeathBunny

Hi, I'm Alex,

Feel a bit silly using the gaming tag I came up with at 14 in current company but never mind. I heard about this on radio 4s life scientific while working as an administrator, sounded really interesting. I know next to nothing about astrophysics, but who wouldn't want to find planets? Hopefully I'll pick up some science as I go πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• leebebbs by leebebbs

Hello, I'm Lee. I've only just found this site tonight via a link from the BBC external site. I'm 'trying' to pick things up. The tutorial was helpful, but I'm not 100% certain if I'm highlighting the correct things. I've just finished my first go, and got a message that the light curve I was looking at contained a simulated transit. Haven't yet found out precisely what this is and don't want to guess. I'm off to go searching for help in the right direction. I'm a primary school teacher, who believes in trying to learn new things myself. Here we go then!

Posted

• gmugar by gmugar

Hello everyone! My name is Gabriel. I learned about Planet Hunters through my research on citizen science projects. As such I am here not only to find transiting planets, but also to talk to other planet hunters and learn more about what its like to contribute to this project. I hope to chat with some of you in the near future.Happy hunting!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello to all recent arrivals... @memetical, @megadave2002, @DeathBunny, @leebebbs, and @gmugar! I hope you are all enjoying your Planet Hunting experience! πŸ˜ƒ Please let us know how it goes!

Posted

• SAL2011 by SAL2011

Hello again fellow planet hunters! I wish you all good luck in the hunt for new world! I'm a little sad that all our data got displaced. I had found 3 planets. Well I use "I" loosely here. Our team found 3 planets- of course, I did most of the work...

Posted

• Bombstone by Bombstone in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi, I'm Mike. I live in Costa Rica. Was looking for a productive way to spend some time and am an avid follower of exoplanet news, but have never participated.

I understand how to look for transits, but am less sure of how to post other observations such as #glitch, #variable, etc. Do I start a new conversation for the particular star? Search for an existing conversation? Is there simple tutorial that explains how to make these observations?

Thanks!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist in response to Bombstone's comment.

Hi and welcome to Planet Hunters. These two blog posts might answer your question:

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome, Mike ( @Bombstone ) ! Meg's suggestions are an excellent place to start, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask here on Talk. There are a lot of very, very knowledgeable people here who are more than happy to help.

Good luck planet-hunting!

DZM

Posted

• waylandwx by waylandwx

Hi I am Chris . These projects are great fun albeit I am a bit confused with this one. I will get it though!. Good Luck.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome to the project, Chris (@waylandwx)! If you have any questions, just ask here on Talk. The community will be happy to help as best we can. πŸ˜ƒ

Good luck and happy hunting!

Posted

• Fezman92 by Fezman92

Long time no see everyone. I was here when we first started what is it 4 years ago? A bit annoyed that I haven't found anything yet even though there are people who join and on their first day they find something. It's nice to be back hunting though.

Posted

• Meches by Meches

Hello! I'm Elena, happy to contribute!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @Meches ! Welcome to Planet Hunters; we're really happy to have you!

And welcome back to you, @Fezman92 . Planet hunting is tricky, and it can be a game of luck... Remember, even if you don't find anything, you're helping us process the data just be searching. We couldn't do it without people like you! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• mkchrc14 by mkchrc14

Hello to one and all!
    I am very interested in the sciences in particular astronomy in fact you can say I have a passion for it.So here I am and here's hoping I'll be of some use to the science team of the Planet Hunters project. Oh and thanks ahead of time for answering my questions you can bet I'll have a lot of them πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome to the project, @mkchrc14 -- and to the Zooniverse, if it's your first time here!

Let us know if you have any questions. This is definitely the place for them! We're happy to do everything we can to help. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• paradise2012 by paradise2012 in response to SAL2011's comment.

Didn't know that data got displaced! Which data? Is it lost completely? Very sorry to hear that.

Posted

• Herbst_Sven by Herbst_Sven

hello! I am e.t. alias Sven and come from nice Bavaria in Germany I am something like that from happily this side has found, the absolute insanity.
    greet all members from zooniverse!!!
    lg e.t. we are not alone

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Herbst Sven's comment.

Welcome to the project, Sven! πŸ˜ƒ Hope to see you around the boards. Happy planet hunting!

Posted

• NeedHope123 by NeedHope123

Hi, I'm Stark Roket, I'm a 16 year old very productive adolescent. I've been studying Extra-Solar Planets between a 2 year time frame of 2 years. Working blood and wet. But now i'm more into just reading and I want to take action. I've been trying to the best of my ability to get funding for the construction of a space telescope. I need NASA's interest. If anyone has any ideas then please message me.

Posted

• zoo3hans by zoo3hans

Maybe the following might be of interest?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/testbed-paves-way-for-amateur-space-telescope/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arkydforeveryone/arkyd-a-space-telescope-for-everyone-0/posts/1194610

Posted

• erorick72 by erorick72

Hello all,
    this is my first time on this site. I'm not a scientist, just interested in space exploration, and want to help out if I can.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to erorick72's comment.

Welcome. The Universe is such a vast place, there are always new wonders to be found for all those with the patience and determination to find them.
    Best of luck, and hope you enjoy the adventure of discovery.

Posted

• dkleaphart by dkleaphart

David Leaphart here....although I'm a physicist by education, I've worked my career in telecommunications and data networking. But I have continued my studies over the years and stay with physics and astronomy research topics. My Master's thesis involved how to best calculate orbits around binary star systems, so the idea of planet hunting is really appealing! I hope to contribute.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to dkleaphart's comment.

Welcome, @dkleaphart -- ! Hope to see you around Talk a whole bunch! I'm certain that your expertise will be invaluable to the project.

Happy hunting!!

Posted

• Excelsis by Excelsis

Hello

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Excelsis's comment.

Hi, @Excelsis --! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• spectroman by spectroman

Hello, im Julio c hegedus, astronomy and science enthusiast since childhood. I was on the queue to start helping SETI with SETI@Home.. and had been in other zooniverse projects for some time now,... I hope I could help a little bit with some noticeable percentage in the statistics!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to spectroman's comment.

Welcome @spectroman --! Glad to have you here. I'm certain you will indeed be a huge help. Hope to see you around Talk a bunch!

Posted

• LordYazz by LordYazz

Hello there, i am Wiktor, 34 years from Poland. I heard about PlanetHunters few years ago... Yesterday i surfed in internet and i found forgoten project ! πŸ˜ƒ That's really great to be with You all here, and... I wish You all "good hunt ! " πŸ˜ƒ
    Regards.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to LordYazz's comment.

Hi @LordYazz -- welcome to the project! Glad to have you here. Good luck hunting! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Mihai-Claudiu_Dragomirescu by Mihai-Claudiu_Dragomirescu

Hello, I'm Mihai, 25 y.o., from Romania, Europe. I'm a beginner when it comes to astronomy, yet I've always thought it was a fascinating endeavor. My major is law, so I can't imagine myself becoming any more than an amateur in this field. But, even if I become acknowledged as an amateur, this would be quite awesome. The word amateur comes from Latin (amator), and meant lover. And there are many things to love out there...

Posted

• HatterJack by HatterJack

Heya everybody!

I'm Cj, 35 armchair physicist, astronomer, and philosopher. Weird combination, I know, especially for an engineer.

Anyway, I've been part of the community for years, but never really had much to say until now, so... Hi, nice to meet you all, glad I'm not alone in the maze of light curves, and happy to have you all here.

Posted

• tbrinton89 by tbrinton89

Hello to everyone. I'm Tom. Just discovered this site and eager to see what we can find πŸ˜„

Posted

• GingerMolloy by GingerMolloy

Hi

Im Billy. Loving Planet Hunting and have been for a while. Very much an eager amateur.

So when do we get new K2 data on here?

Billy

Posted

• shunter_1999 by shunter_1999

TRANSMISSION UPDATE everyone will receive a transmission they must follow

Posted

• Gingerion by Gingerion

Hello everyone πŸ˜ƒ

I am Karlo Bermanec, reporting on behalf of a handfull of planethunters here in Croatia πŸ˜ƒ
    Great site, refreshing it daily, and today I spotted one speedy planet around APH0000f7m .
    To my housemates these are just spots and I seem preety crazy. Glad to know that there are people doing the research as citizen scientists.

Posted

• pvz57 by pvz57

Hi planethunters! πŸ˜ƒ

I'm Alexey, electronic engineer and amateur astronomer from Russia.
    What if one of the planets, we're looking for, have such a site, too?!

Posted

• broder_fisk by broder_fisk

Hello!

I'm from Sweden; I'm an artist (3D and 2D) and cook, but I'm also interested in different kinds of science. I haven't read much on astronomy since my early teens - they had found only one exoplanet at that time and planets were believed to be rare, so when I decided to look stuff up (because I've started a fictive solar system art project) I was happy to discover that there are more than 1000 known exoplanets and that most stars now are believed to have planets.
    It's fun to look at the light curves (a bit like an addictive mini game) and I hope to learn things about stars from participating, as well as finding planets of course.

Posted

• squirreltastic101 by squirreltastic101

Hello! My name is Yael Brynjegard-Bialik. I am 14 years old but nevertheless a budding astrophysicist. I am an author of two science-fiction novellas and I am currently working on a third novel in the series that involves the science of a warp drive. Science has been my passion for most of my life and I have a lab table at my house with all sorts of science equipment I use to conduct experiments. I joined this program because I have an extreme fascination with exoplanets and other worlds and I think that this is an amazing way to direct that enthusiasm. This is also a way that I know I am impacting the world in a positive way and contributing to a huge project with my fellow scientists.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to squirreltastic101's comment.

Hi @squirreltastic101 -- really happy to have you here!

You should also post a hello at the Teen Talk on the Zooniverse Teens board! https://www.zooniverse.org/talk/67/ πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• resim77 by resim77

Hi, I'm Chris, 37, artist, teacher, and astrophysics enthusiast.

Posted

• justanovah by justanovah

Hi! I'm Angela. I grew up on science fiction and I have always loved astronomy/astrophysics. I didn't get to study it in college but I really wish I had when I had the chance. This project is exciting and I hope I can help out in some way. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• michael.land by michael.land

Hi everyone!
    I'm Michael. I've always loved astronomy, although unfortunately I was never able to study it formally. Look forward to working with all of you!

Posted

• stevelegend by stevelegend

Hello! I'm steve. Just heard about this website from a trending article today. I'm interested to join the movement.

I do have a question to get started, though. I can't seem to get out of the 3 transit tutorial, i've selected all 3 columns of points and clicked continue. It reloads the same light chart. Thanks

Posted

• smklatt by smklatt

Hi there! My name is Sasha. I've always been very fascinated with space and all the mysterious objects out there. When I found out about this project I thought it would be very cool to try and help. Like Steve, who posted before me, I can't seem to get out of the tutorial. Thanks so much!

Posted

• fr667 by fr667

Morning everyone. I'm Fraga, a newbie. Love the universe. an astronomy lover. interested for the search ..

just like steve, (up) cant get out of transit tutorial. reload the same star. may just a newbie fool LOL
    however, nice to have talk here

Posted

• fr667 by fr667 in response to stevelegend's comment.

same problem., if you have the answer, dont forget to tell me.. :p

Posted

• mazevedo by mazevedo

Hi all,
    I'm Manuel, astronomy enthusiasts. I'm a computer engineer and I'm here to help with some of my time.

Posted

• sedonaleigh by sedonaleigh

Hi Everyone!
    Former STARBASE instructor and current American ExPat in Norway.
    Want to participate, but after two hours of trying to get light curves to load, nothing is happening!
    Sarah

Posted

• Ledcob by Ledcob

Hi, Can anyone help me? the page doesn't work

Posted

• jonoh by jonoh

Hi there, I am new and am also stuck in the tutorial. Can nobody help with this?

Posted

• sparrow2015 by sparrow2015

It is just amazing that there is such a thing that people can put in a few hours every now and then to help out.

It is also amazing that all the effort put into this goes down the drain as everything stops at a looping tutorial page.

Tomnod, at least, works most of the time.

If i want loops, i might as well just walk circles in my living room.

Come on people!

Posted

• d3m0n0gr4ph1c by d3m0n0gr4ph1c in response to jonoh's comment.

There are plenty of people stuck, keep checking back I guess. I haven't been able to start either.

Posted

• dbuggr by dbuggr

I think this is a fantastic idea. But you keep showing me the same data over and over and over again. At the moment I'm feeling pretty foolish for wanting to participate in this. So, is this real or shady?

Posted

• javismiles by javismiles

good day everybody, Im Javier,
    i have the same issue, i cant access the data properly
    best

Posted

• Gingerion by Gingerion

I think that we are stuck on tutorial or loading because participants here already went through everyithing available and the people running the page are preparing to recieve new data πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• sailorsky by sailorsky

I"m Tim, Just saying hi, and trying to find transits. Cheers!

Posted

• Skywatcher22 by Skywatcher22

Hello I'm Tommy...just a sky watcher and now that I found this site, I'm a Planet Finder.

Posted

• Stevederival87 by Stevederival87

I'm Steve derival and On December 16, 2010, the Zooniverse launched the original Planet Hunters to enlist the public's help to search data from the NASA's Kepler spacecraft for the characteristic drop in light due to an orbiting extrasolar planets (exoplanets) crossing in front of their parent stars....I copy dis cuz dats my Bday 12 16...and I want to know more about space

Posted

• Xenocide20 by Xenocide20

I'm Steve and I am here for the planets.

Posted

• 01xyzLiana'sEternity by 01xyzLiana'sEternity

Hello all I'm Liana, I am a long term thinker that is endlessly fascinated by the universe! I feel our future is in the stars and I just know we can solve any conceivable problem possible with enough technology, knowledge, and willpower.

Posted

• Zoegas by Zoegas

Hi there hunters.
    Im Joakim, a newbee hunter from Sweden. Have a lot of spare time on my work so what is not better than hunting some planets then. English is not my first language so i might sound funny sometimes. Google translate is my friend πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• wilsonio by wilsonio

Hello! I am a mathematician and a cognitive scientist. Want to help with the project. Is it normal that if a star does not have transitions, then it's data looks like a sine curve varying from 0.99 to 1.01 or something? Thanks!

Posted

• Numlock1001 by Numlock1001

Hello, my name is Peter, im from The Netherlands. I'm new to this, but im learing new term and i find this really interesting!

Posted

• rglass1946 by rglass1946

Texan here (Pflugerville, near Austin), returning to hunt planets after long absence. Interface for hunting has changed significantly, faster, but with less flexibility. I miss being able to go back and forth looking at the light waveform over multiple quarters and to-from the conclusions others have submitted. Am I just missing some features in the interface?

Posted

• NotUrAvgPerspicillum by NotUrAvgPerspicillum

Howdy,

Frank here from Texas. I'm an aerospace engineer who has had an interest in planet hunting/watching since I was a kid. It's nice to be able to participate and help in anyway I can.

Posted

• bugfinda by bugfinda

Hello fellow planet hunters, my name is Bugfinda. From Ethiopia, living in Brazil at the moment. Totally a noob right now, bu I'm glad to help find some interesting space objects with you.

Posted

• Daze26 by Daze26

Hi everyone, I'm Mel. Only recently joined but hoping to contribute something in this wonderful field. I have so many questions and still working my way around this site. I also hope to learn lots πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• boomerkitty by boomerkitty

Hi everyone! my name is Ashlie and i am doing this program in school about astrobiology.

Posted

• rhn by rhn

Hi! I'm a computer scientist and Physics researcher - wannabe. I hope I can contribute to the cause by hand and by making tools.

Posted

• lunacanales by lunacanales in response to constovich's comment.

i have some sugestions to make the work easier and faster. you could add bottons with the #hashtags so that we can comment faster on what we see. you could let us go back to the graphs when we see other participants comments to compare their observations and correct or compliment ours.

since not all charts are easy to read because of the noise some have, you could put examples on all the common graphs so we can look at them and learn faster.

i hope you can use some of this

Posted

• crispy023 by crispy023

Hello, I've been fasinated by space since I could walk. I was just curious if there is maybe a video of a planet already discovered? Something i could watch to maybe get a better idea of what im looking at. i went thru the tutorial but still seem so unsure about most of what i see.

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77 in response to crispy023's comment.

Here the official planet hunter video

https://vimeo.com/17857457

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77 in response to crispy023's comment.

NASA also has a great visualisation tool which you can download to explore already discovered planets

http://eyes.nasa.gov/

Posted

• Wi_Ma by Wi_Ma

Hi guys, I am a new user, After a couple of hours at hunting I am puzzled with questions, Could anyone give any references?

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

This post from the old planet hunters talk has a lot of useful links.

http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH100ia30

Posted

• Daze26 by Daze26 in response to davidbundy77's comment.

Thanks David, so much information here. πŸ˜ƒ This is just what I've been looking for and I know many users will appreciate this too.

Edit: Sadly most of the links were dead. I'm currently getting lost in all the windows I now have open but will report back if I find anything worthy.

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

I have managed to resurrect some links and added a few new ones:

Planet Hunters Intro: http://www.planethunters.org/#/science

Kian Jek's famous planetary calculator. Just plug in the values http://www.kianjin.com/pcalc.html

More efficient ways to hunt planets: http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH1011mbd

Screening for background stars: http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH1003dcx

Skyview: http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/current/cgi/titlepage.pl

Aladin Lite (enter 2MASS ID): http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/AladinLite/

VSX search- Looking up Kepler Stars on the International Variable Star Index: http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH1014lmf

VSX: https://www.aavso.org/vsx/index.php?view=search.top

Examples of Variable Stars in Kepler data base: http://kepler.nasa.gov/science/about/targetFieldOfView/stellarVariability/lightcurves/

Kepler KOI search: http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/koi/search.php

K2 Light curve search: https://archive.stsci.edu/k2/data_search/search.php

Andrew Vanderburg's reduced light curves: https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~avanderb/k2.html

K2 Variable Catalogue: https://archive.stsci.edu/k2/hlsp/k2varcat/search.php

Stellar Classification References: http://oldtalk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH100i9qz

Listed Eclipsing Binary Stars: http://keplerebs.villanova.edu/

Posted

• jeff_durrett by jeff_durrett

Hello everyone, My name is Jeff Durrett. I'm new to this and i really don't have a clue what i'm doing but i really enjoy trying to figure it out. The thought of observing new planets orbiting distant stars is fascinating to me. I don't know if its me or if something is wrong with the site but i cant get past the tutorial today. was not having a problem yesterday?
    Any suggestions would help. Thank you

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77 in response to jeff durrett's comment.

We classified all the data! Hopefully someone will fix it soon.

Posted

• jeff_durrett by jeff_durrett in response to davidbundy77's comment.

Understood, thank you very much!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Fixed now!

Posted

•  stardust2.0 by stardust2.0

Hi I'm Cindy and this my first time on I'm so interested in space and hope to help contribute to the science world

Posted

• ntime60 by ntime60

I'm Steven. Avid amateur astronomer, joined a few weeks ago. I love this concept.

Posted

• m2arki by m2arki

Hello everyone! I'm Marco and I'm really enjoying the idea of being able to contribute to the discovery of new worlds and who knows until a future new home!

Posted

• mlab81 by mlab81

Hi All!!! I stumbled upon this through links on Nasa.gov.. I am extremely geeking out right now to be able to do this! I am truly looking forward to being apart of this and contributing my time. No I dont have any special degrees or even a degree at all. This has just been a fascination of mine since I was a child. A dream come true!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Have to offer a welcome to @stardust2.0 @ntime60 @m2arki and @mlab81 !! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Petemo by Petemo

Hello iΒ΄m new here and just studying this Planet Hunting πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Uni2013a by Uni2013a

I'm Adam. I've been Hunting Planets since age 14 (17 now). I'm Autistic, and I've excelled in Astronomy since age 4.

Posted

• JKD by JKD in response to Uni2013a's comment.

Hi Adam,

you are welcome.

My name is JKD.

I’m participating in the PH community since 2009.

I’m not a professional PH and just looking around for unusual Light Curves

Best regards and good hunting

JKD

Posted

• PlanetGazer8350 by PlanetGazer8350

Hello I donΒ΄t want to say my name.

Posted

• SAM-CASTLE by SAM-CASTLE

OK i'm new to this. Just signed up. How the heck does it work? Are we fed stars that haven't been observed? Ok thats my first stupid question. Can anyone help?

Posted

• Astropriya by Astropriya

Hi everyone!!! I am Priya. I always loved space and I am quite excited. I hope to learn a lot and contribute something to this program.

Posted

• BoulderAstroBadger by BoulderAstroBadger

Hi everyone! I am very excited to be making a late career change into Astronomy. I have been accepted into an on-line Astronomy MS degree program at USQ that will hopefully lead to a PhD fellowship starting around fall 2019. I have long been interested in extrasolar planet discoveries. I am considering Master's thesis topics related to the K2 program and I am very interested in participating beyond review of transits. I will be reaching out to look for advisors to help with this effort and ways that I can begin to contribute as soon as possible.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to BoulderAstroBadger's comment.

Very nice and best of luck to you! Also certainly welcome your contributions here if you choose to share at some point.

Posted

• joyatiitr by joyatiitr

Hi I am Jaydeep
    Looking for new planets to move on.. No matter what I find, I would be using my time way better than Facebook/Twatting or any other social Media.
    Btw I am not social and people person. So Yeah finding new planets would be fun..

Posted

• JimmyNeutrino by JimmyNeutrino

Howdy! The name is Robert, an aspiring physicist and volunteer! Happy hunting, and may the force be with you all!

Posted

• kisfred by kisfred

Hello I'm just a volunteer. As a graphic designer, I work all day long with photos and patterns. I am interested in the brain's ability to detect subtle details, and - of course - in the astronomic science

Posted

• SpaceGirl8462852 by SpaceGirl8462852

Hi all! My name is Josefine and I live in Sweden. Happy to have found this project and to be a part of this important task. Happy hunting everyone!

Posted

• ericsect by ericsect

I'd like to know if there is a way for me to sort through this data to only look at a certain star type classification ("F series" for example). Thanx!

Posted

• Yade by Yade

@Ericsect - now hold your horses pal. Don't expect to get access to anything here. This is run by people earning a lot of money, they take your taxmoney to create a site, where you'r expected to work as a slave for them. They want the fame and the money. If you do extrodinary well and earn them a NobelPrice, you may get some honerable mention in the chat somewhere. Giving axcess to specifics or complete and exact data is risking you get the chanse to show you'r better than them.
    Just be glad for the simulations with some crappy points on a screen they throw in your face, they don't know what they do annyway and in no way intend to explain annything of importance.
    Notice the aplications here, when you get a koordinate system on the screen you can create a horisontal line by running the curser over the y-axis. Moving it up and down provide an exelent tool for horisontal evaluation. They didn't tell me, i noticed by accident, and can find no way to create a similar moving vertical line. I bet 2/1 it's impossible, and i bet 10/1 they don't know why they made a horisontal but no vertical, or why they didn't make a possibility to delete your profile. They are more stupid than a decapitated worm.
    In the simulations you often get a message about points marked with red showing a simulated transfer, if you wan'a improve on the hard to spot cases you have to see those red marks, but most of the time no points are red. Just clik "No Transits" and you see the red points in every diagram. I bet 20/1 nobody here knows why ! And i bet 100/1 you have to launch your own satelite if you want specifik data. That means you have to pay for both that and Kepler, since these guys don't wan'a do productive work, they just wan'a milk taxplayers while getting payed for playing with their hobby - wich b.t.w. is totaly meaningless. No planet around any star will ever have any significant impact here, these guys dream about unlocking the secret of life, but they and their equals will have killed us all long before we get annywhere close, we'l be choked by exaust fumes by the time they launch mission no 934 to find life on Mars.

Posted

• ianjones7001 by ianjones7001

Hi
    Does anyone know if I have to go through the tutorial thing every time I sign in, or am I missing something really obvious here?

Posted

• entanglement4 by entanglement4

Hi , I'm Hamed and I'm finishing my bachelore in engineering physics .

btw @Yade , why did Max Planck collected blackbody radiation diagrams and examined them for 20 years ? Answer to find a function that fits with his figures and what happened? Quantum Mechanics was invented ... .

Science needs people who server it without any expectations ... .

Posted

• Corona11 by Corona11

Hello all,
    My name is Kim and I'm just a citizen interested in astronomic science. I love looking to see what I and others may find. Happy Hunting!

Posted

• Vikare by Vikare

Hi! Anshit here. I'm an 18 year-old student and passionate about astrophysics and space in general!
    @entanglement4 very true, and @Yade please don't ruin it for any of us, we are here out of our own interest and to help out people who are actually doing something for humanity. Not here for prizes, please.

Posted

• kyler.mc by kyler.mc

Hello! Kyler here in the USA. While I have a degree in history, I have always had a fascination in science especially astronomy.

Posted

• marafon514 by marafon514

Hello! My name is Igor. I'm very impressed by this site.
    12 days ago I discovered this project. It is very interesting to explore planets without leaving home)
    Really love it, i wish you all great research!

P.S: and sorry for my bad english) I'm just learning this language πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• SzeligaFamily by SzeligaFamily

Is there one place where I can see all of the "typical" unusual lightcurves plus their hashtags? The ones that pop-up in the red "Nice Work" are good, but it would be helpful to be able to see these all in one place.

Posted

• kinryuu by kinryuu

Hi, was just looking for some interesting citizen science projects to work on when I get tired of tracing neurons on Eyewire πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• zengel by zengel

Hello ! I'm Abbès and i like your initiative . i have eyes . can i help ?

Posted

• ukstillalive by ukstillalive

hello world
    my name is utkarsh and i am from India . since my birth i am seeking for another earth but its complicated to hunt planets here

Posted

• cowboy0217 by cowboy0217

Hello my name is David Black I'll be 17 years old as of tomorrow the 17th, anyways I just wanted to introduce myself I'm currently studying to pursue a career in astrophysics or another astronomy/physics related job. Although I have no formal education in the subject I have studied quantum mechanics for awhile now and have also thought of a career in that area. Although it may seem weird in my free time when I'm not doing homework or relaxing playing video games you can usually find me in my garage building something or taking apart old electronics for parts. At night however well that's when I whip out the celestron something about the universe is just so inspiring and awe worthy to me I look up at the stars and it gives me hope and inspiration almost like your staring into the face of god. Whatever the case is I think I have one goal in mind to learn as much as I can about the universe while I can and to be written in the history books.... I want to discover something I want to be someone who helps propel humanity forward I want to be known and with every subject I learn whatever it may be I find myself slowly inching closer to my goal in life. Zooniverse is the perfect platform for this sort of thing. One thing that has always bothered me in life is that someone could have found something amazing something revolutionary for humanity and it would never be recognized because they may not have the credentials for it. Its a shame how this has occurred ,people are not brought up to their full potential they are taught to live inside a box and see everything the same way which is only holding us back. While I pursue an education and a degree like everyone else I also take it upon myself in this day and age of technology to learn as much as I can with the resources available I want to show people you can do what you want and you can do great things if you put you body and mind to it.

Posted

• SoCalAstronomer95 by SoCalAstronomer95

Hi Everyone, My name is Daniel McCool and I'm really excited to see what we can find out there. A little bit about me I'm 21 years old and have always loved anything dealing with space. In my spare time I build Papermodels of rockets like the SLS, Atlas V, Saturn V, Saturn 1b, Titan 1-3, and Shuttles. I look forward to working with all of you and share in your accomplishments.

Posted

• Popcorn468 by Popcorn468

Hello everyone My name is rRshika and i am a student at J Michel Lunsford Middle school and I love science

Posted

I am also 12 years old
    the person from above

Posted

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Timelord67 by Timelord67 in response to cowboy0217's comment.

Brilliantly said

Posted

• mike22091 by mike22091

hi, i'm mike. I'm new to this, and I have a question, if anyones willing to answer it.. I think im doing this right, but most times I box in possible transits, it circles them in red, like I missed them or something. Also it has a message at the top that tells me they're circled in red.. And in between each one I look at, I get an example page, that shows what to use for hash tags in talk... Am I doing this right? Or am I in some kind of tutorial??

Posted

• karol2002 by karol2002

Cześć nazywam się Karol mam 15 lat . Proszę o pomoc nie wiem jaki teleskop wybrać mógł mi ktoś wysłać kilka dobrych propozycji teleskopów ?

Posted

• scilov2324 by scilov2324

Hello I am Caleb Van Natta! I am new to planet hunters and found out about this from a ted talks on youtube about the most mysterious star in our galaxy (nicknamed Tabby's Star). I'm currently a sophmore in high school so please excuse me if I'm not up to date on anything.

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase

Hello,
    LET'S GO PLANET HUNTING!

Posted

• MagnusChase by MagnusChase

I found this on Ted Talks, just saying.

Posted

• IronEagle by IronEagle

Hello!
    I'm a biologist with a passion in Astrobiology, also hold a Master's degree in microbial gene technology. Planetary Exploration has always been fun and will always be, despite testing times. Proud to work on something that'd get us to the new horizons someday. Really glad to join the group.
    Good hunting, everyone!

Posted

• emily.safron by emily.safron

Hello! I'm Emily Safron, a graduate student working with Tabetha Boyajian and a new science crew member on the Planet Hunters project. I'm looking forward to learning more about the PH community and exploring the work that so many of you have diligently contributed thus far. Please feel free to contact me about weird light curves, science questions, or even features you'd like to see changed or added to the PH site.

Nice to meet you!

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to emily.safron's comment.

Welcome, Emily! Nice to meet you also. And even though PH is quieter than in previous times, new planet hunters do appear and often have questions...

Posted

• DJAZ by DJAZ

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jaroslaw, I work as a PM in a software development startup. In a free time I hope to contribute some discoveries for this community. πŸ˜‰

Posted

• ACA-Planets by ACA-Planets

Hello,

My name is Adam. I am a drywall finisher/plasterer. Just recently found a love and interest in astronomy but more specifically in exoplanets. I am brand new and have very little knowledge of space, but am learning everyday. i hope i can help out!

Posted

• Stargazernz by Stargazernz

Kia Ora. The clear skies of New Zealand are amazing for stargazing. Just checking in.

Posted

• Maya80 by Maya80

HI My name is Maya, I'm new and I am wondering why in the tutorial the transits are way below the main light line, as I continue why are they so zoomed in? and in some it says transit in red but it doesn't make sense because it doesn't extend below at all. did I miss something? I wouldn't want to continue if I do not even get it and am not making a difference. any input?

Posted

• tafranklin by tafranklin

Hello all. My name is Tim, and space has always fascinated me, so this is a perfect outlet for me . I hope to get to know the community better and help make some amazing discoveries!

Posted

• Edub by Edub

Hello everyone,I am Eden. I Aviation and Aerospace science student in Metropolitan state University of Denver.I am new to planet hunter. I am so happy to be a member of zoonivers planet hunter.

Posted

• SalvadorBarquin by SalvadorBarquin

Hello everyone!! My name is Salvador and I am new to Planet Hunters.
    I am fascinated by the world of exoplanets, and I would love to learn more about it and collaborate as best I can.

Greetings!! =)

Posted

• XMLgeek by XMLgeek

Hello, Lisa here. New volunteer, still trying to figure things out. I have been a data analyst for many years and love patterns, so this is a lot of fun!

Posted

• ajc12333 by ajc12333

Hello, i'm Andrew I am new to this, i'm still trying to learn the ropes.

Posted

• RichardKCollins by RichardKCollins in response to mschwamb's comment.

Meg,

This is my first time visiting this site. I signed up to ask some questions and to see what you all are doing, and maybe to help, if I can find a way. I am a retired senior mathematical statistician with an interest in gravity, particularly solar system gravimetry and imaging with gravimeter networks. For the last 20 years I have been tracking methods used on the Internet to see if I can determine their impact on the future of society. So I spend a lot of time reviewing sites and organizations. I am currently looking at social networks in the sciences, of which there are many.

I do not know who or where to talk to anyone here, so I picked the first person I saw. I have some concerns and questions. First, I tried the classification tutorial. I am 69 this year and my eyes are tired. I cannot see the light grey text on black. Is there any way for me to change the layout and colors and function of the classification tool? I started programming when I was 17.

Is there any way for me to get the data from these light curves? I spend a lot of time devising statistical screening methods in many sciences. I think that if you include basic models of what you think is going on in these solar systems, that can guide and simplify your classifiers' task. I can spot changes in noise with math and statistics many time when I cannot "see" anything with my eyes. When I was calibrating the IRIS seismometer network to work as a gravimeter array, I had to work blind for months before I got the first clear images.

Is there some ultimate purpose to this? I can see someone will get a lot of planetary systems marked for a closer look, and these systems can be modeled. But how does that help humanity? I am not being facetious. I see many social networks expending billions of human hours on various projects like this, deliberately or inadvertently. I am trying to find ways to trace and quantify the impacts and consequences. I am trying to avoid society wasting scarce human resources.

For instance, if your classification tool is inefficient in the overall process - to produce calibrated solar system models that can guide new observation and hypothesis testing, I presume - then you might be using scarce human resources inefficiently, and ultimately generate a net negative result for society. I do not know that here. What can look chaotic at first glance is often clear with experience.

Just saying hello. I would like to look at the data. Adding a download data button might be a good place to start But adding some "run this or that model" or "test this hypothesis" capability, would also help.

I am pretty sure I cannot do eye-click classification. I am almost certain I can simplify what you are doing. But, from the point of view of the Internet and humanity as a whole, I cannot simply look at one node in a much larger network of people working with astrophysical data and methods. What you do here at PlanetHunters.Org affects many others, and others will look to you all in making their choices.

Thank you for your time.

Sincere regards,
    Richard Collins, The Internet Foundation

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to RichardKCollins's comment.

Hi Richard, I'm just a volunteer with the others here but we haven't seen Meg in some time unfortunately (busy no doubt). But you can get all the data you care to look at here to get started.

https://talk.planethunters.org/#/boards/BPH0000006/discussions/DPH0001kx2

After that best to just read as much as you can, because there really isn't a regular question and answer person either. Once in a while though, those of us who have been here a long time try to help. Good luck.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to ajamyajax's comment.

Also maybe this would interest you or any other data crunchers:

"You Can Hunt for Alien Planets in Kepler Data Using Newly Released Google Code"

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer

https://www.space.com/39940-google-code-released-kepler-exoplanet-search.html

Posted

• fred_erickson by fred_erickson

Hi everyone
    I am very new to planet hunters and I have a lot of questions.
    First about myself I am an amateur astronomer and I go out observing every chance I get. I have some basic idea as to what this site is trying to do but no idea as to how to do it so I am going to need a lot of help until I understand what to look for and how to identify the target I should be looking for.
    Question 1: On the light curve . Are all those dots the data of just one star or are they more the one star ?
    and if they are more then one star how you tell witch star is witch ?
    Question 2: Where can find more information on reading the light curve so that I can be sure that I am reading it right and I am giving the right data back? I feel if I am going to do this I want to learn to do it right so I am going to need all the help I can get until I know how to do it right .I'm more willing to learn if some is willing to teach me.
    Question 3: how do I get feedback so that I can learn if I am making mistakes and what mistakes I have made and how I can avoid the later on?
    CLEAR SKYS
    AND KEEP LOOKING UP
    Fred erickson

Posted

• Mike-Carroll by Mike-Carroll

Dear Moderators,

With the thousands of stars to be classified, how is it that the stars I just looked at were also seen by five, maybe 10 others? Are there that many folks on line classifying stars?

Thanks

Posted

• hawaiisunfun by hawaiisunfun

Hi, I'm Brittany and I commit to many citizen science projects. It's difficult to get a science job where I live (even with a degree), but that doesn't mean the work stops there just because of that. So I hunt for exoplanets, and if not, I work on neurons. I see that the current number of exoplanets found is around 4000, and I hope to bring that up to 5000.

My hope is with the newfound knowledge, we can create a google map of the universe, where people can put in directions for going from one celestial body to another, with the time based on the mode of transportation (like 10k hours by shuttle, but 1k hours by an anti-matter space jet). The map is based on the movie Passengers, where the room contains a holographic map of the universe

Posted

• cosmicmicrowave by cosmicmicrowave

I'm Genevieve. I live in Dallas where I can see maybe 5 objects in the sky at night due to intense light pollution. I love astronomy, I am considering returning to school to study it...but alas it appears that all the high paying jobs are in tech these days.
    My fantasy is to discover a system and name it after my dearly departed amazing feline companion, Zackery. I was out of town when he passed away, and the guilt I suffer can only be assuaged by doing something truly astronomical in his honor.
    Aside from that, I like feeling that I am doing something productive with my time. And this is a hobby with a flattering name, I love telling my friends that in my spare time I "do exoplanet research for Yale." Very fancy.
    Of course once I say that they ask for an explanation, and I have to admit that anyone can contribute to Planet Hunters. But for a minute there I'm full of WIN!
    So far I have classified a few stars. Enough to be thoroughly downtrodden at the superfluous amount of noisy ones.

Posted

• ajamyajax by ajamyajax in response to cosmicmicrowave's comment.

Condolences for your loss. I'm fairly old and lost family and long time pets too. I hope a little volunteer work here or there helps you heal some anyway.

Posted

• hawaiisunfun by hawaiisunfun in response to cosmicmicrowave's comment.

Maybe you can travel to a place that has less light pollution (I do that periodically) or advocate in your city to lessen it (that's what I did at my city council meeting). My city's similar to yours, at times it's almost as bright as daytime (I live near LA). I guess we can relate partially on the whole jobs situation. However, maybe you can find work in Houston/Austin, as those have lots of space interest (but they might be far away). Glad you're being productive here and encouraging other to as well (no one that I talk to gets interested though for some reason, but I'm still interested. Glad to see your enthusiasm like mine!). Hope you find that system, I believe I found a few here already (although no credit yet).

Posted

• Rookwings by Rookwings

Hello, I'm Rookwings, and I used to be a solar stormwatcher before I left the internet to recover from 5 ulcers and a subsequent gastrectomy, but I'm back and raring to get useful again...

Posted

• OSIRIS_REx by OSIRIS_REx

Hi, fellow Planet Hunters, I'm relatively new to PH, I've only been on here for two years. I was just wondering, would we be notified if a planet we observed was in fact confirmed to be an exoplanet?

Posted

• Rin_Issei by Rin_Issei

Hey guys and girls. I'm Jack, though my friends call me Rin. I'm here as a part of my IB Higher Level Physics Internal Assessment. I'm from Italy and just wanted to let everyone know that if you'd like to cooperate I like using Discord a lot (Cough Cough: "Rin Issei #4878"). Anyways hope we get along well

Posted

• Dadde by Dadde in response to Rin_Issei's comment.

if it possible, i'll wnat cooperate with you, i'm also from italy and i'm engeering student.

Posted